1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What 'brand' 12v battery do you recommend for a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Sep 13, 2024.

1. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Designed to outlast an OEM battery.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    east penn makes a good one

3. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    parts store battery and Walmart batteries usually last 3-5yrs, you could get lucky and get 7yrs. OEM definitely last longer, my Camry hybrid (Panasonic) went kaput at 15 yrs, I replaced with Walmart AGM and it's been 2+ years without issues. The one on my Prius right now is a Duracell AGM(from batteries+) it was totally dead when I got it because the owner didn't use the car the whole winter. I was able to revive it and still running. My experience with the TrueStart batteries from Toyota Dealers is that they could last 5+ years, this is just based on my friends who bought their batteries from the dealer. Walmart batteries is a hit and miss thing but the replacement warranty process is easy on Walmart.

4. rogerdpack

rogerdpack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine has a LiFePo4 battery (doesn't fit but made to fit LOL). I love it because has 1000's of recharge cycles. Not supposed to charge it under freezing (32) apparently but it hasn't killed mine yet :)

5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The link doesn't actually say that specifically. It says

As we all know from HV packs, even if that claim is true, most of the cells inside outlast the pack as a whole. Also, since nobody has run a sodium ion battery for 10+ years, such claims are to be taken with a large grain of salt. It has a BMS, who knows how long that might last in the real world.

Remember, the lithium pack ultimately turned out to have sufficient unexpected issues that the company is completely changing chemistries. When it comes to new technologies, always expect the unexpected, at least in terms of predicted longevity.

Brian1954 likes this.
  6. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    3. The sodium-ion cells are "designed" to last 10+ years.

typical marketing jargon.. I could even sell a product that was "designed" to last for infinity and beyond..

rogerdpack and Brian1954 like this.
  7. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lifetime estimates only make sense within a particular context. A particular steel bolt might have a design lifetime of 10+ years when used to attach the head to the block on a Corolla. The same bolt might fail in seconds if it was used instead to fasten the head to the block on a 1000 Hp dragster motor.