1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something on kids Cobalt mining for lithium-ion batteries :(

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mendel Leisk, Jan 19, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably got an exemption for the chevy cobalt.

wjtracy likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hkmb pointed out that the region with the issues holds half of the worlds cobalt reserves. Since it has a wide variety of uses, going elsewhere for it will effect a large number of products.

Along with the Li-ion cathodes, it is used in NiCd and NiMH batteries to increase the oxidation capabilities of the nickle. It is used in alloys for turbine parts and permanent magnets. Then it is also used catalysts. Two uses there are in steam reforming for hydrogen and sulfur removal from petroleum.
    Cobalt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...lots of uses I know...would be interesting if we had a pie chart showing uses...the first time I used it was in a chemistry set as a kid to make a weather indicator

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's the problem with essential raw materials when their source is limited. We are forced into paying more, going without, or making compromises that are distasteful at the least when the source isn't up to our standards on environmental and human conditions.

5. 348

348 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    That's where it comes from, either buy the products or do not.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe there is a way to buy the products, and still put pressure on the suppliers. but we have to be careful about definitions, this country has a long history of child labor, and i made my own children work, as soon as they were able.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Cobalt makes steel alloys stronger, and their uses have wide range. Maybe someone can put up a pie chart about where they go? I guess that secondary batteries are not much.

Personally I have a stent making one of my cardiac arteries more open. It works great! Millions of people have these now, each one a few milligrams of cobalt, and I suppose that 'industrial' uses of Co take much more.

Metal mining, mining in general, has substantial environmental consequences. Gold may be the worst, but hey, we love that stuff!

We could define an area in periodical table of elements where things are 'necessary' but current ways of obtaining them cause human harm. The latter are 'externalities' and until we agree to assign costs, nothing will change.

Trollbait likes this.