1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second 12v camping battery and charging circuit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by laird, Sep 5, 2018.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where would you get the energy from? Just running your engine while you are cooking?

I didn't have my RV long enough, but many here (NL) have a LPG (liquid propane gas*) tank build in. It is used as a carfuel, so you can fill it up at almost any gas station. Rest of Europe has a decent amount of filling stations as well.

[offtopic_but_blowing_off_steam]RV rented in Australia came with an EMPTY and a barely HALF FULL propane tank and you pay ~250$ a day for those RV's and rentingagreement says they come with FULL bottles... *(*(&^$%((^^((-holes. Yeah sure, it was an honest mistake en you DID fill them. If that were true, the whole RV or garage would probably have blown up with one-and-a-half bottle of propane in the air, so you're friggin' lying to my face. Glad I weighed the bottles with my suitcase-scale before driving off.[/offtopic_but_blowing_off_steam]

* LPG stands for Liqiufied Petrolium Gas which is about 50% propane and 50% butane, varies between winter and summer: winter sees more propane because its boilingpoint is much lower than butane. I tried to rectify this when posting originally but touched a wrong button, ended up on the previous page and the whole post disappeared. So somewhat surprised it DID get posted...

#41 R-P, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have literally fed myself for six months now using chiefly an Instant Pot (the six-quart, 1100-watt size, in my kitchen) and a bread machine. The 1100 watt model would be too much for the inverter in my car, but I have been so happy with it that I bought a 700-watt, three-quart model for whenever I feel like traveling again. (The bread machine I have used in the car before. For giggles on one trip I threw some flour and water in it, four hours out from my destination, and showed up at their door holding hot fresh bread.)

A day's menu for me at the moment might start with some granola (previously toasted in the Instant Pot) blobbed with some yogurt (fermented in the Instant Pot) or an egg (hard cooked in the IP) and some toast (bread machine), with some soup (made in the IP) or a sandwich for lunch, and some veggies over rice (all cooked in minutes under pressure in the IP). I could live like a king out of the car with that stuff.

Really the biggest problem I'm not sure how to solve in a Prius is water.