1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running on Electric Motor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by lovemyprius05, Oct 30, 2006.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    on my 01 prius salvage, the SOC was very low ( dont know the percentage, it was on the last green bar on the 01 ) and it wouldnt start the ICE, i had to make a charger, and i charged it to 270 volts, charging two halves with 139 volts each ( low amps, long time )

NEVER run down the HV battery, no matter what im not risking it, too much work to deal with on my side, plus the 04-06 prius hv battery drains much faster than the 01 ( from my experience, im guessing the newer prius battery has lower aH than the 01 )

also forgot to mention, the car was sitting for 2 years without starting, and when it finally started there was a fault that made the engine not enter the mode to charge the hv battery, resulting in even more discharge, it ran until the main battery warning light came on then the engine shut off. The vehicle wouldnt start afterwards, if you left it a while it would crank the engine but then stop and shut off.

2. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Nov 5 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]344338[/snapback]</div>
    It is never a good idea to let a rechargeable battery sit that long without charging. As you discovered, bad things happen.