1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil changing door we need a recall

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FishHawk, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I went with friction tape, applied full length on both sides of the hinge line, for a couple of reasons:

1. It's closer to the original condition, ie: a full width hinging crease. A couple of zip ties is just that: a couple of points of support. It's more vulnerable, the corners can snag, the holes are weak points.

2. Tape can be pulled off, leaving your cover pristine. If your cover is still ok, and you do the oil changes, and you're very careful with it (see my page one post regarding tactics for preserving it), it may stay ok. I'm loath to drill holes into a currently undamaged component.

When applying tape just make sure the plastic is clean first, press the tape firmly into contact (especially at the ends), and periodically check it. The tape on the inside is likely good forever; the outside strip corners might fray a little over time: especially at the ends. Just keep on it.

2. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If there's space for tape, I'd probably use polyimide (i.e. Kapton) tape. Very durable, fireproof, chemical resistant, and extremely flexible.

3. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I might have to do something like this. Mine got ripped off by a tire carcass, I might have damaged the mounting bolt hole as well though because it ripped the hinges off and I had to pull over and try to remove it (was hanging open and making a ton of noise) so I basically had to rip it out.

4. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the cover is installed to assist in keeping
    the engine warm this may be part of the emissions
    contol and come under warranty in that area.

al