1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage significantly decreased

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Phyllis06, Nov 20, 2008.

1. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I run around 42 in the front and 40 in the rear, some members will go higher. The ride will be harder, the higher you go, but so will the mileage. It's a balance you are comfortable with.

When mine get rotated, they will set the psi at manufactures specs. (35-32 ish I think). I always need to check, and adjust accordingly, and yes, headwinds do make a big difference for me. A 20 mph headwind doing 60 mph, is like doing 80 with no wind.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    30,000 miles service for a Prius should not cost more than about $50. The dealer is trying to sell you the *dealer's* "30,000 mile service package", which is not *Toyota's* recommended service. Don't be suckered. When you go to the dealer for maintenance take with you the Scheduled Maintenance Guide that came with the Prius. Show the appropriate months/miles page to the service writer. Tell them that you want those items and nothing else. Be firm. (And always, always, always: let the car sit OFF for 10 minutes and check the oil level yourself before driving away. If it is over the top line, make them drain it down. But be nice and tell the writer beforehand that you will do this.)

The Scheduled Maintenance Guide is a printed document separate from the Owner's Manual. If you do not have the Scheduled Maintenance Guide you can find the information on this Toyota site:
    Toyota Parts and Service

If you do not have the Owner's Manual, buy a copy from a dealer or online (I don't have the direct online link).

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

Welcome Phyllis06,
    Thanks for over looking the lack of cooth, of some :rolleyes:. That said, you may want to consider 0w-30 synthetic oil. It too, helps mpg on cold winters. That said, take it from some of us old timers, you can go much longer on oil life. Here's a nice example, to help you find a happy medium between one extream to the other:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/57990-five-years-flawless-performance.html