1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IRS rejected my $2500 PIP credit.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by kong_konger, Mar 30, 2013.

1. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That seems to be an occasional issue (if I understand it correctly) with people who install solar panels/systems on their house- the full 30% fed tax credit can't be claimed because it exceeds the amount of taxes paid out.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    direct credit I mean...you buy the PHV car full price and you or dealer get a check for $7500 irrespective of taxes. I think cash for clunkers worked this way, the Feds $$ went to the dealer. But probably no change, I think. If someone in Congress tried to bring this up, I think the repubs would say fine but we reduce the $7500 to less money because $7500 now seems too much money, let's be honest, although PiP at $2500 credit is reasonable.

3. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But... The Federal tax credit for solar can be used over a 2 year period. Say you have a $6,000 tax credit for solar install, but only owe $4,500 in Fed taxes after all other deductions have been taken, you can get a credit of $4,500 this year and take the other $1,500 on next years taxes. Just went through the process for my 2012 taxes. I was able to use both the solar and the credit for the PiP last year as I am just a poor retired guy who ends up actually paying taxes. Now if I made a few million each year I would probably not been able to get the credit... ;) :whistle: LOL!

wjtracy likes this.