1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda released info and photos of FCX

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ceric, Nov 14, 2007.

1. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neemer5 @ Nov 21 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]542731[/snapback]</div>

Like many, I'll be ecstatic when they finally offer the FCX (or derivative) in Canada. That's for sure. With that said, I believe you'd get to it first. :)

Regarding the usual detractions:

Indeed, the issue of hydrogen infrastructure is often used by FCV detractors and they've got a good point despite often suffering from the usual myopia we've grown so accustomed to. But then again, Honda is an errant company filled with buffoons and technology idiots. How else would we explain the colossal FCX blunder? Right? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Anyhow, enough sarcasm... :)

What I am pleased to see is that Honda's idiocy has a limit and is tempered by a strategy for proliferation and advancement of the technology... especially in the absence of the hydrogen infrastructure. Heck, just following Honda's own IP portfolio in everything from solar energy to ... would be enough of a clue, but no.

The reasonably informed will know that this immediate strategy will hinge greatly on the Phill (home filling station) and to me that would be the ultimate solution. Perhaps no so for the majority of folks at the moment, but then again Honda did not state this was going into mass production either.

Simply put, the natural gas provisioning in my area is not an issue (in terms of supply or cost) and an FCV vehicle would be more practical and reliable than a plug-in vehicle (which is a serious nightmare 5-6 months out of 12) in our cold winter season.
    What some of our friendly FCV detractors neglect to acknowledge is that there will always be those of us who will grab these cars as soon as they become available... for whatever reason - especially those they can't think of. And that is OK with me. I am getting used to it. ;)

Cheers;

MSantos

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSantos @ Nov 21 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]542753[/snapback]</div>
    So you'd have to use a natural-gas reformer to produce the H2? In which case, you can only drive it as far as one tank will take you. But if natural gas is to be your source of energy, you might as well just convert a conventional engine to natural gas, and save about a million dollars (the likely cost of the fuel cells) and save the efficiency losses of converting the NG to H2.

But since Honda is not going to be mass-producing these it's really a moot point, since they won't be available to ordinary folks.

3. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 22 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]542895[/snapback]</div>
    Heck, I never drive on the highway. Does that mean that I made a mistake by buying 3 2007 Prius and two HCH ? All this because I do not go as far as a tank will take me? Every time I get home I plug in my cars anyway. Really !!!

Still the ICE conversion is valid point, but not very forward looking in my opinion.

Here's the no-loss perspective that some of us have: If we exclude the Honda FCV stack for a brief minute and trully concentrate on a significant proportion of IP applied to the Clarity.... then we are inevitably looking at a purely electric vehicle. THAT is what some of us are ALSO very interested in.

As I mentioned, you'll know exactly what I mean if you follow Honda's IP portfolio trail over the last 7-8 years. I'll tell you what, since we can't do much about this anyway, why don't we just let things unfold on their own? History has a way of settling opinions and perspectives for some of us. Perhaps we'll chat about this again. ;)

Cheers;

MSantos