1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda killing the Accord Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 8 2007, 04:46 AM) [snapback]372380[/snapback]</div>
    You can remove "GM" from that first sentence, and it's pretty accurate.

As for what gives, what gives with the Prius? Why is it so prone to rattles? Why did Toyota under-tire the damn thing?

Malorn is (sort of) right. Too many people here have Toyota-tinted glasses on. Toyota's quality is not what it was 10 years ago, and it's below GM in several areas.

GM has introduced a 10 year/100K powertrain warranty with free roadside assistance. Do you think they'd do this if they'd be losing tons of money on that? They're putting their money where their mouth is, and good for them if it works out.

Toyota just took away roadside assistance on their cars. Maybe they were losing money. Altho, to be fair to Toyota, on one of my two Prius tows I had the Cingular roadside assistance cover it.

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 7 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]372355[/snapback]</div>
    You said "I think I know where Toyota will be." Where will they be? Is the new Tundra part of that global enviro-friendly strategy?
    My first post on PC was a thread about the Prius giving Toyota carte blanche to do whatever they want to in many peoples eyes becuase of the Prius. With that in mind the Prius has been the single most important vehicle for toyota in the last 20 years. I am just wondering what the new Tundra will do to that outlook in some of your minds? You will probably turn a blind eye to it and continue to priase Toyota for taking care of the environment and "creating" jobs in the US.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]372515[/snapback]</div>
    Good point, but which vehicle does GM promote? In a light saber duel, they have chosen to be Darth, not Luke.

Both GM and Toyota offer a full range of vehicles, but it looks like Toyota promotes all of theirs, while GM acts like they only sell pickups and SUVs. At the very least, GM could make an effort at seriously addressing their image. Also want to interject, Honda delayed entry into the SUV and esp the pickup market because Mr. Honda was adverse to making gas guzzlers.

Many of you are fans of a team and may have been really hard on a team (Yankees, Notre Dame, Cowboys....) Just thinking about the New York Giants. Do fans want to get rid of the team? - No. Do they want to get rid of the players? - No. Do they want to change the coach or general manager? - Yes. I think that sums up many people's feelings about GM - get someone to lead them out of mediorcity and we will gladly buy.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]372500[/snapback]</div>
    I apologise if I came out harsh.

I didn't assume it was THAT much better. I was just surprised that it had that many issues.

You are right in the perception though. If I had one Toyota and one GM car and they both creaked, I wouldn't complain on the GM but I would have something to say about the creak in the Toyota.

I think you should be worried about Ford. DCX, I'm not too sure. Yes, it has the backing of Daimler Benz but I haven't seen that much of an improvement in their products yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jan 8 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]372510[/snapback]</div>
    lol.

We still have roadside assistance for the length of the comprehensive warranty so I'm not sure what TMS is doing.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jan 7 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]372321[/snapback]</div>
    That's not necessarily true. Geo Prizms were built at the Fremont NUMMI plant. Not all Corollas were or are built there. I don't know the percentages from the 94 model year, but even to this day, not ALL Corollas sold in the US are built in North America. See http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/01/03/032851.html. 387K Corollas were sold in the US last year, 335K were built in NA. The rest had to come from somewhere else.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jan 8 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]372510[/snapback]</div>
    What statistically meaningful information covering a large sample size do you have to prove your first statement? Consumer Reports shows that car quality across over the entire car population in the US has improved significantly over the years. They break it down by Asian, American and European manufacturers. It's improved for all 3. So, you're at least probably somewhat accurate in that it's not what it was 10 years ago, it's better.

You're distorting what GM unveiled. It's a 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty (whichever comes first). As for whether they'll lose tons of money on this, we'll see, but clearly it will cost them more than the warranty they previously offered: was a 3 year/36K basic warranty on most brands and vehicles w/no extra length for powertrain coverage on almost all their vehicles. See http://www.gm.com/gmcomjsp/contactus/Conta..._AnswerSW7.html and http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/faqs.html.

It's part of marketing as well as an incentive for them to improve quality to keep their warranty costs under control. It also buys them some time by hopefully getting some consumers to buy their vehicles while spreading out the cost over a 5 year period. GM could easily take it away mid-model year or in a future model year. Chrysler long ago used to give a choice of a 1 year/12K basic warranty w/7 year/70K powertrain warranty or a 3 year/36K basic warranty and nothing extra on the powertrain. They got rid of the 7/70 choice long ago.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jan 13 2007, 07:10 AM) [snapback]375104[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, that's exactly what I said... a 5/100K powertrain warranty. I'm not sure how I'm distorting anything.

Edit: And now I see I typed 10/100K. My bad. :(