1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help please with brake mystery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by chico, May 20, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think this is the official Toyota Grease for calliper pins:

Toyota brake lubricant:
    caliper pin grease:
    lithium soap base glycol (rubber) grease
    p/n: 08887-01206

I've been using Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant, readily available at retail auto places. It's held up fine, recently rechecking our front brakes, around 30K km's since I last applied it.

And for points of contact between brake pad, to shim, to caliper: Permatex Anti-Seize Compound is something I've used for decades.

IMG_6863.JPG

#21 Mendel Leisk, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for a useful reply, it is greatly appreciated. "You did it wrong" with no amplifying correction isn't much help. I go through 10,000 miles in about 6 months when I will rotate the tires next, so I'll watch the brakes until then and probably replace the rubber dust boots and lubricant. Does that sound reasonable? I mistook Lithium Glycol based grease in the repair manual to mean Lithium White grease.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I noticed that when I posted the Toyota description. It would be great if they would give some part numbers at least. You can get the Toyota grease at any dealership parts department I think.

It's only in the last decade I turned my attention to pin lube, before that I would just relube the pad contact surfaces with the anti-seize. I think I just got lucky, not keeping cars that long helped too. When I started thinking about pin lube I asked a lot of questions and read up, and the Sil-Glyde was mentioned a lot: readily available and effective/safe.

cq358 likes this.
  4. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, you live in Ontario like me. My driver-side brakes seem to be wearing fast.

I had a very similar problem with my 2012 Prius. It all started with the below post two years ago:
    Rear Passenger Side Brake Squeal | PriusChat
    • Two years ago at 75,000km or so, I suffered from rear brake squeal because outer rear driver side pad was worn to metal. As a result, I replaced the rear brake pads. The passenger side pads were like new.
    • Last year, I noticed that my driver side brake pads were wearing much faster than my passenger side ones. I re-lubed the pins on the driver side before winter.
    • Last month, at 121,000km I saw uneven wear on the outer rear brake pad on the driver side. This time, I gave up and replaced both rear rotors and pads. The rear pins had a lot rust on them which I sanded off.
    I hope replacing both rear rotors/pads will fix the problem. It is now wait and see for me. I suspect that the caliper pins are getting rusted and the lubrication is drying up too fast.

I am currently using Prematex Slick caliper lube. I plan to try Ez-Flo lube next. I can't seem to find at Syl-Glide here in Toronto.

I am having brake woes, but I don't seem to have my rotors running hot.

#24 Siward, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    cq358 likes this.
  5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I gave you that correction, but I guess you didn't get it. Look, I'm sorry I replied to your post that's a hijack of this thread in the first place.

6. chico

chico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is ancient. I still have the same issue. I ended up replacing my driver side rear brake caliper and both rear rotors, at a shop and it didn't change anything :|

The shop kind of sucked and the fact that it didn't help doesn't get me any sort of discount (although I will never go back there again...they sucked in many ways).

Having said that. My rotors don't get hot...so I just ignore it and replace the pads more frequently that I should have to. It's not much money but if I'm lubing the pins it's like an extra 5 minutes to replace the pads so I've just accepted it :p

7. cq358

cq358 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    [​IMG]
    Dear Mandel from Vancity. Thank you for setting this thread up. This is the most scientific thread with most information available about the famous" Tapered (uneven wear) of rear pad".
    Picture shows my old 1 winter old Wagner pads from salty brine soak hwy in winter

even i changed my pad and rotors, new clips, lube all the pins, clean the caliper brackets, even grind the pad ends to the extreme angle, you can see the inner circumference is not touching the rotor

This affects:
    2011-2016 TC
    2010-2015 Prius lift back
    2009-2010 Vibe-FWD 2.4 or 1.8
    2009-2014 Matrix-XR/S (FWD)
    2008-2015 XB
    2011-2017 Lexus CT
    2014-2019 Corolla SE /XSE

Attached Files:

8. cq358

cq358 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Picture below show after changing the pad holder clip, scrub area improved and compare to right wheel rotor mating performance

Attached Files:

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Beveled wear on the rear pads is very likely due to the misaligned caliper piston. There’s a link in my signature with more detail. If on a phone turn it landscape orientation to see signatures.