1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Break In Period

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pkulak, May 10, 2011.

1. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Personally, I'd say "extremely high" means greater than normal highway speeds. And to avoid driving at a constant speed, just don't use cruise control.

I feel like the Prius break-in period is significantly different from many other cars because of the use of the CVT; the engine can run at whatever RPMs it needs to, so coasting from 70 to 60 and then pressing hard on the gas to get back to 70 would take it through quite a wide range of RPMs (probably ~1000 to as high as 4000-4500). So avoiding having the engine run at the same speed is fairly easy. There are other components (like the transaxle) that are more directly tied to speed, so if you change your speed every now and then, it's probably not a bad idea.

But if it's not feasible, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe just don't floor it, and don't brake too hard either.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :welcome:

Some of the manual is written specifically for the Prius. Unfortunately a lot of it is just a "cut and paste" job out of manuals for other cars.

The break in procedure is generic and does not fit the Prius very well. Constant speeds don't matter very much with a Prius. As mentioned above the RPM continuously varies all over the place when you are driving a constant speed, for example at a steady 70 MPH on the freeway the engine will go from less than 1000 to over 4000 depending on the grade.

I would suggest just driving it at normal speeds and don't use full throttle or to much friction braking for the first 1000 miles or so, unless you have to of course.

Enjoy your new Prius.

hybridbear likes this.