1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR Cooler Bottom Torx Stud Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusII&C, Apr 13, 2021.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I replaced the EGR screws with stainless cap screws as well. I will never put those Phillips head screws back.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. birchy

birchy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I'm sure glad I stuck with it and took the EGR cooler off. That thing was so clogged up even after multiple runs through the ultrasonic cleaner that turned the water/cleaner completely black, and multiple runs of soaking it with oven cleaner and baking soda and boiling water, I could still BARELY blow air through it with my lips sealed at one end! I finally took it to the local carwash last night and got it all cleaned out. The crap that came out of it was crazy (including remnants of my various cleaners I had tried). Gave it multiple blasts back and forth from both ends until the water coming out seemed clear, and then blew through it again and it's like blowing through an empty tube now. I'm actually pretty shocked my 2010 wasn't throwing any codes! Now to wait for the replacement screws to arrive and to put it all back together.

Thanks again Mendel and others for your suggestions!

xliderider likes this.