1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer vs. 3rd Party Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jafca09, Aug 17, 2011.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Which one? Berkeley Toyota had a coupon on their site for $65.

MB860 ?

2. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very well stated!!!!:)

3. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After the oil and filter change, start the engine and let it run for awhile to check for leaks.;)

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Service Manual states "Put the engine in inspection mode", in the last section of the oil change instruction, titled: INSPECT FOR ENGINE OIL LEAK.

If the car's been sitting an hour or so for the change this isn't necessary: it will idle normally for a bit before shutting down, and 30 seconds is all you really need to get the oil filter refilled, so that you can get an accurate read of the level with the dipstick.

As to an extended run for leak check: if you've properly torqued the engine oil filter cap and drain bolt, it's not needed: you are going to be ok. Or something is seriously wrong. And for the DIY'r, this check is likely going to be with the car back on the ground, underpanels closed.

That said, anyone know how to put the 3rd gen in "inspection mode"? I'm thinking it would be handy to force the engine to run normally, not shut down, say for coolant changes, or any time you want to keep the engine running. I gather that's the main object of "inspection mode", at least for this application.

I've looked a bit but struck out.

5. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The dealer is generally 100% or more expensive, and not necessarily ANY better than the competition.

Based simply on it being a Toyota dealership, you have NO idea if the service is better or worse than any other shop (unless you have experience with one vs. the other). My experience tells me that dealerships are generally no better.

The bottom line is that you need to find a dealership or other that you can trust AND doesn't charge twice as much as the competition. Either that, or do it yourself. I've found a great place to get my oil changed and wheels rotated. It costs less than $25.00 and I KNOW their work is good.

Find your place - it's out there.

-Brad

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Comments in bold below.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only time my Mom took her Highlander to a dealer, they did not put a crush washer on the oil drain plug, so it leaked all over her garage. Then a few days later when she was down to visit, I noticed that her taillights were out. When she had gone back to get the drain plug fixed, they said one of her brake lights was out and then charged her $20 to put in single filament bulbs, rather than dual filament ones. I'm not saying all service departments are bad, but there are some pretty bad ones out there.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The oil change monkeys are on the low end of the wrench twister hierarchy, but one thing the dealer shop has going for it is that their oil changers don't have to deal with as many different types of vehicle so they are more likely to have at least a passing familiarity with yours.

I fully agree with your view that you need to find a place that you can trust. Unfortunately, that's the hard part.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just because an employee cashes a payroll check from the dealer doesn't mean they are familiar with the Prius. On my last trip to the dealer it was painfully obvious that the Service Writer didn't have any time behind the wheel as she had a hard time putting it in gear & actually turned it off. The car is also returned with a drained traction battery so someone is leaving it on.

Look for dealer coupons in the mail & e-mail usually around anniversary or birthday dates.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are few sure bets, the best you can normally do it tip the odds in your favor.

If the only thing I knew about the oil changing employees was that one worked for Toyota dealer and one worked for Iffy lube, my money would be on the one that worked for the Toyota dealer being more knowledgeable about Toyota products.