1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing the cabin air filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hdrygas, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We all learn by observation, Craig. Thanks for leaving your posts.

2. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you don't mind doing some work yourself, get a good pleated furnace filter. Cut it up and duct tape the edges. Cabin filters for less than $2-$3 each.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The reference to me is unmistakable.

For the record, I have issued exactly two "Troll Alerts" against two individuals in recent weeks, Signboy and Vespasian. In the past I suspected two or three other posters of "trolling." The consensus of the majority posters, each time, was that I was correct in my suspicions.

"Troll Alert" Search Results

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I thought the question was OK. I don't flaunt or hide that I am a MD. I am just a person with a degree and profession like many others here. And I have to admit that I am jealous of the things they know that I don't. I would like to learn everything. I did come down hard on the smoking issue and I am a bit sensitive, I have seen too much harm, suffering and deaths from smoking to be complacent. It is a known hot button, like dyslexia and spelling. I apologize for being bit strident. I see this as a community.

5. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

I'm a little concerned that a new contributor ("prius_colony") got caught up and unnecessarily attacked during this fervor... Hope he (or she) comes back!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, it wasn't lol. Honestly, it wasn't. I'm fine if there's perfect reasoning behind it. It's just the few threads that I've read, the 2nd or 3rd post the troll alert sound off. Maybe I haven't been keeping up, I remember last year when I'd remember who the senior posters are and who the newbies were, but with the sudden influx of new members this year, I'm already losing track.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm, you should have been at the office where I work, when last year they finally upgraded/cleaned all the HVAC equipment. The office building is about 32 years old, and up until the mid 1990's they allowed smoking in the building.

You should have seen the ductwork, it was NASTY. There was a thick coating of dust, at least 2-3 inches, and a gummy yellowish/brownish substance, obviousely from the cigarette smoke.

The individual floors get heat from a hot water boiler in the basement, the hot water goes through a heat exchanger coil. Cooling in summer is from a chiller on the roof, with large heat exchangers for cooling.

The heat exchangers also had a nasty thick greasy buildup of that yellowish/brownish substance. It was like tar, which also helped explain the very poor airflow out the registers.

Since they put in the new ductwork, an HRV, and new heat exchangers, the migraine headaches I routienly got at the office went away. How about that?

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have predominently HVAC forced air in CA and the improvement all the way around in all the buildings is incredible. No more filthy debris around the supply duct, entire ceilings now clean and not brown or grey. Since your bldg. was rehab'd have the administrators forbidden smoking?

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Apparently, they forbid smoking in 1996, about 2 years before I started working there. But even with that, the very first time I entered the building, it smelled like an old ashtray.

My headaches started the first week.

With the major renovation of the HVAC system, all my symptoms went away. Not surprisingly, a couple of the guys doing the contracting became ill after handling the filthy heat exchanger coils. They both got bronchitis and some other thing.