1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5 year paint coating

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Kawdennis, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm gone.....this conversation is going nowhere. You're welcome to experiment yourself and report your results.

2. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Tree Hugging Environmentalist Wacko

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really? All I asked for was some evidence to back up your claims. How did the burden of proof for your claims fall on me?

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a friend in the bodyshop business, and he told me years ago that cars with silicone on the paintwork were a real pain for them. Had to have the silicone completely removed or new paint would not adhere. So maybe wax wouldn'tstick either. OTOH, I can't imagine that a non-abrasive wax would have any negative effect on the dealer-applied product. I'm not familiar with the product the OP mentioned, but I wonder how they could say that it would last for five years for every car, regardless of weather, garaging, washing etc. If a dealer sells it, there is profit involved. A lot porter making minimum wage slathers on something that comes in a 55 gallon drum, and it is ALL profit. I'm not saying that this is true for the Simonize product, but rather for just about everything else in the way of protectant stuff sold by dealers. If it is really as good as the proponents say, why wouldn't car manufacturers apply it and use it as a selling point for their cars?
    I'm just an old fashioned chauffeur, having been washing and waxing cars by hand for nearly 55 years. I've tried just about everything, and there's no substitute for frequent washing and waxing, using good ol' elbow grease, in my humble opinion.

jeep2prius and Hi Burrito! like this.