1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which to trust: the TPMS, or tire gauges?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Scott_R, Oct 15, 2024 at 2:57 PM.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Almost immediately after buying my 2024 Prime I noticed that the Toyota reported the tire PSI as 31 PSI. I went out and checked them with 2 tire gauges, and they reported ~2 PSI lower, not quite 29. I attached a tire inflator (i.e., a compressor made for tires and not a general purpose compressor) and its gauge reported the same.
    I inflated to the numbers given on the door sticker (35 front, 33 rear) and now the app reports 37 PSI front, 35 rear.

I'm leaning to trusting the gauges, since at least 2 (plus the tire inflator) reported the same numbers, but should I instead believe the TPMS?

tires1a.jpg tires3.jpg tires4.jpg

douglasjre and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trust the gauges. most apps aren't good enough to be trustworthy

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suspect that they start with similar accuracies or tolerances. But the TPMS sensors should not be degrading from mechanical abuse in glove boxes and other places they are tossed.

Consensus among multiple units (more than 2) would probably be a reasonable guide. If at least 3 TPMS sensors are reading the same, compared to an external gauge, I'd go with them.

4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Where r the gauges made

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Either could be off a bit, due to manufacturing variation. I’ve got several gauges; most read about the same, while one is invariably about 3 PSI higher. The higher one happens to be my preferred (due to ease-of-use, easy-to-read), so I taped a bit of masking tape on it, with a note to remind me about the 3 PSI overshoot.