1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where is the tank vents?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Magic Mark, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Magic Mark

Magic Mark New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am (still) trying to diagnose a venting issue on the 2015 Prius. It is not throwing any codes, but I still can't pump gas normally. I am trying to find where the stoppage is by disconnecting everything and then plugging them back in one-by-one until it stops working. So far I have disconnected the charcoal canister (which was a completely empty box, LOL) and the evap canister, but I still can't pump gas. It is a pain because I disconnect something, then drive a mile to the gas station, then drive home and disconnect the next thing, rinse and repeat.

[​IMG] ()

My question is which tube is the actual vent for the tank. The solid one or the flexible one? What are those, anyhow?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe the two green things One has to plug on it that goes up to the evap system that green cap thing under the hood You blow smoke in it and it blows smoke down evap and you look for that smoke to blow out or not of certain places It's called an evap smoke test You can Google that for this and Corollas it should be very similar in my generation too were the tank filler neck is where it connects to the rest of the tank where that fat tube is there's a real skinny tube in the generation 2 and that seems to be where a lot of the holdup is and filling the generation too here it looks like in the generation 3 they may have fixed that problem Not sure about that in my car the generation to the problem is more where the filler neck where you put the gas tank nozzle The tube that runs from the filler neck down to this array of hoses and then on into the tank itself seems to be a partial bottleneck in my system I can't see that part of your car in any of these pictures as it's not involved picture wise I don't know what the tube looks like that's directly connected to the back of the filler neck that black tube connects up to a metal tube that's that same diameter and goes right up to the filler neck on the chassis? If so then this is quite different than the two. But it looks like the two green topped pieces with hoses attached to them one goes to the evap business which may be actually somewhat of a partial vent and then the bigger hose is I think the real vent of the complete system I don't know how it works but I believe it's the vent there may be a one-way valve involved and that sort of thing If you have the tank out of the car and you were to take it up in your Honda Civic in the back of your Honda Civic just the gas tank Can you fill the gas tank quickly through that filler neck hole without it stopping and acting up and while you're doing that do you feel air coming out of that big fat tube connected to the center green round piece on the tank and maybe some coming out of that evap hose the smaller one while you're putting gas in the fattest fill hose? This would eliminate the tank being the problem and narrow it down to one-way valves and whatever is connected downstream of those two hoses sitting there disconnected in the picture.