1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very nice feature of the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DanG 01, Jul 21, 2009.

1. DanG 01

DanG 01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Several days ago, I pulled my new Prius IV into a touchless wash system. It was sunny and about 90 degrees outside of the car.

There was a small line of cars waiting to use the car wash, so I pulled up behind the last car and put the car in Park.

The engine shut down and the air conditioning continued to work flawlessly. I was in line about 20 minutes and the A/C continued to work without the engine ever starting up. I was in the Eco mode, so I guess the A/C used less power than in Normal mode.

My reaction to this was WOW! My car was staying at 75 degrees in 90 degree weather and I didn't have to keep my engine running. I had plenty of reserve power in the main battery.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've noticed that my 2010 is much more efficient while running the A/C with the engine off than my 2006. Definitely a nice feature and one that further helps achieve such high MPG's during city driving.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good to know that the A/C is noticeably more efficient.

4. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Similar experience here but in 106+ degrees in Goodyear AZ. The ICE would cycle on any time the battery charge got down to two bars, then would shut off w/ three bars. I would say it is an efficient system.

Now the initial cool down - no solar roof system - in this heat took quite a long time, perhaps up to 10 minutes to a comfortable level.:cool: