1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using E85 fuel

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by chris, Nov 16, 2004.

1. chris

chris New Member

The Nov.-Dec. newsletter of the Ethanol Producers and Consumers (EPAC) reported on a study by the Minnesota State University at Mankato. The students drove a Prius and gradually increased the amount of alcohol in the gas until they were using 85% alcohol (E85). They didn't modify the fuel system or the engine. They report that the engine showed gains in horsepower and torque and significantly reduced tailpipe emmissions. I don't know if mpg was affected. They said there were no engine problems. For more information,visit: www. creedproject.org.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chris\";p=\"50932)</div>
    Sweet! I got my BS degree there.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow. I'm surprised this would work. It's my understanding that FFV's use a sensor in the tank to measure alcohol content in order to vary the EFI mapping. Theoretically, all corrections could be made via O2 sensor, but all initial "guesses" by the EFI might be off a little.

Maybe a similar map is close enough, but the real danger is if the engine is too lean you can burn an exhaust valve.

Nate