1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Under brace for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Prius Happy, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Prius Happy

Prius Happy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey guys, it seems like Tanabe is coming out with Under-Brace for our cars. Tanabe USA Inc. - Sustec Under Brace ...I'm not sure if they did some RD on this. But I was wondering how well will this make a good difference. Obviously, it's just a stiffening part for our chasis. So it shouldn't ruin anything at all.

What do you guys think?

2. jkchang

jkchang New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The front under brace will improve steering response. From what I've previously seen, Tanabe does fit the part and test a few different bar stiffness levels to find the right blend of comfort and performance.

The Prius tuning market has been relatively huge in Japan since the Gen II. We might start seeing a few products spring up in the US with the Gen III.

3. Prius Happy

Prius Happy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Also heard that it's very noticeable when you're in the freeway... when you change lane it's more responsive.

4. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the Tanabe underbrace, though it's not as the picture shows. If you read the description on Tanabe's site, the '10 Prius under brace is a 2-point brace. Meaning, its essentially doing the same thing that the "Stiffening Plate" that was sold for the Gen II's did. I got it along with tanabe springs, so while I can't be certain of attributing improved performances to one part or the other, I can say, that my car handles better than it used to. it isn't as "squirrely" at highway speeds. corners a bit nicer than it used to as well. If I had to say, I'd say the car used to drive like it wasn't intended to be driven hard or corner well, and now it drives like it can do so fairly well.

**All tanabe parts for the 2010 prius are bolt on, and do not modify the car in such a way that its irreversible

5. Prius Happy

Prius Happy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah most of mods today are bolt ones... Anyways, any noise problems when they installed it?? still quiet?

6. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure what you mean by noise, exactly, but as far as just answering outright, no noise whatsoever. Theres no rattling, nor noise from wind resistance.

Also, I've bottomed the piece out on a few steep driveways, and its still firmly in place.

7. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I should have the Cusco brace (should be a 4 point brace) arriving in about 2 weeks.

8. Prius Happy

Prius Happy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    oh okay, just wondering if there were any creeking noise and what not... since it made the car a bit more stiff.