1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unable to communicate with hybrid power terrain control module

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fa1984dy, Oct 4, 2022.

1. fa1984dy

fa1984dy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    U0293 . Hello Everyone . I have a 2011 Prius . It overheated for 8 mins then strange noises like screaming came from the engine and coolant reservoir . I left it to cool down and there was no leakage . So i decided to drive it again . Then it stalled . And all the gears on dash were blinking . And code say lost communication with hybrid power terrain control module. Do you have a suggestion please ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is that code?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As the OP looked up, U0293 means that whatever ECU has reported the code isn't able to talk to the, well, powertrain control module (the Toyota name in Gen 3 is the "power management control ECU").

As with other communication codes (U codes), it's equally interesting to know which ECU said U0293, so you know which one can't reach the powertrain control one, and then you can start looking at the network wiring between them.

U0293 can be reported by any of: the steering ECU, the skid ECU, the body ECU, the certification/smart key ECU, the A/C ECU, the driving support ECU's pre-collision, adaptive cruise, or lane-keeping functions if present, the parking assist ECU if present, or the ECM.

It can even be reported by the power management control ECU itself, which is weird, but that ECU is internally split into a couple different functional units, so that really means one of those can't talk to the other.

Not all scan tools show you which ECU was reporting each code that is shown, but it is very useful to have one that does, for this kind of code.