1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still getting P0A80, removed pack, and saw corrosion I had never noticed....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bbellgrl, Oct 16, 2024 at 2:06 AM.

1. bbellgrl

bbellgrl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just pulled my pack for the fourth time, as I'm determined to figure out what's going on before dropping at least $1k on another pack. This time, I noticed corrosion on many of the connections. I assume the corrosion has been there all along, and maybe I just had not noticed it (my eyes aren't great). So now I'm wondering if this corrosion is causing my problems....

Should I:
    1) clean it all up and reuse the harnesses or replace the harnesses? I could by them from eBay or try OEM...
    3) keep or replace the copper bus bars that I have already cleaned with vinegar and baking soda?

On the heavier main supply wire, I'm concerned that the corrosion has gotten underneath the insulation. I see no corrosion on the other ends of these wires in the harness plugs/receptacles.

Thanks.

IMG_3612 copy.jpg IMG_3614 copy.jpg IMG_3613 copy.jpg IMG_3615 copy.jpg

2. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you checked voltage difference of each battery pack?
    Check control module for corrosion..

Use a voltage meter to check continuity when tracing each wire, and I have had success cleaning busbars , and also purchased replacement busbars as well.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you don't have the charging and discharging capability to revitalize the individual modules or however you do it then you're missing a vital step I've seen several of my battery packs run fine even with some of the copper wiring that had been heat cycle several times and was now more of a black color the ohms per foot or whatever ratings that generally apply to wire and all seem to be within reason and I have hundreds of these other wires just laying here from packs that I've disassembled in various states of age and disrepair there's a couple of wires that seem to get black these are orange that seem to turn black from the copper color they were but still work fine some even have green corrosion on the end where the angled fitting is to bolt up to the module Just light cleaning and whatnot seem to work fine it's your bus bars nuts those are critical areas they need to be clean tumbled washed reused I use an anti-corrosion spray front and back and after I torque the nuts etc every few months or at least once a year I lift the hood on the side of the battery and looking there with a flashlight and see my anti-corrosion stuff is still there things are looking good on the MFD and the energy mode and we just drive the heck out of the car Don't leave them sitting make sure somebody's going somewhere almost everyday and pretty much no problems I do not have hobby chargers in the setup to reflash or revitalize modules either My battery guy usually hands me a rack of whatever it is 28 modules squeezed up for about 400 bucks ready to go so far it's been a very reasonable deal He's a good guy and does good work.