1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel controls

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Skycow, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Skycow

Skycow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a new 2007. I've noticed that when driving at night the lights on the steering wheel controls are very faint making it difficult to see what's what. Is this normal or is there a way to make these brighter?? I have the brightness turned all the way up, but it doesn't seem to effect the steering wheel.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks!

2. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first drove at night, also found the steering wheel controls a problem, but now I feel that I am comfortable where each control is, or, at least, the important ones for me, so just do not look at the wheel any more, so really do not care about the lights. ;)

3. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skycow @ Jul 27 2007, 08:17 AM) [snapback]486030[/snapback]</div>
    It's normal. The steering wheel lights aren't controlled by the dimmer. They could probably be a bit brighter, but you will get used to it fairly quickly. Eventually, you won't even need to look to find the controls you use most.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Jul 27 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]486047[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. They are bright enough to see on a dark road, but not in city lighting. Once you get used to them it's no problem.

Tom

5. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skycow @ Jul 27 2007, 06:17 AM) [snapback]486030[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Skykow, Your question has been asked many times here. The usual response is that Toyota made the Prius such a great car, they had to leave a few minor things for owners to complain about, the stearing wheel control brightness being one.

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skycow @ Jul 27 2007, 08:17 AM) [snapback]486030[/snapback]</div>
    I have been training myself to operate by feel alone. The bumps and dips on the buttons are all that is needed BUT it does take an effort to master (about 1 week). I was not bothered by the dim lighting, it was taking my eyes off the road to look at the buttons that I wanted to cure.

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wondered the same thing when I got mine in December. I had initial doubts about eventually doing it by feel, but in 2 weeks, I found it to be so.