1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SPARE TIRE MOD FOR LE FWD model using factory foam

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Humble Bear, Oct 17, 2024 at 7:35 PM.

1. Humble Bear

Humble Bear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    SPARE TIRE MOD FOR LE FWD model using factory foam (does not apply to other trims):

1) The LE's trunk floor is lower than the others so are the thinner styrofoam platforms unlike other trims where you can just cut a round hole to fit the spare. You will need to add some height around 2.8-3" at various spots to make it level with the spare tire.[​IMG][​IMG]

2) Purchase factory spare tire wheel & tightening bolt(carrier) + 145/90/16" spare tire. You will need to put a piece or 2 of 2x4 below the tire at the very end to make the tire level front& back so that the tightening bolt can make an even contact. This is very important; I repeat, it's very important to tie down the spare tire securely, because you don't want it to hit the electrical wires & connections behind the rear seats or have it thrown at the passengers/driver in a serious accident. I wish the bolt is shorter so I can mount the spare upside down which also make it more secure.

3) I was able to find a used jack & tool kit from a used Lexus ES330 for $25 and tested it. upload_2024-10-17_17-6-7.jpeg

3) Cut a big round hole to fit the spare tire. I used a filet knife which works great without making debris. Note that the spare tire will stick out about 2.9" above the styrofoam.

4) Bought some 2.9"x2"x6" foam blocks from Walmart($2/ea) which is the perfect height without too much modification and glue them at various places using a hot glue gun. I also modified the jack tool kit to fit into my car by cutting a notch at the corners. upload_2024-10-17_17-7-12.jpeg

upload_2024-10-17_17-7-49.jpeg

upload_2024-10-17_17-8-22.jpeg

upload_2024-10-17_17-9-5.jpeg

upload_2024-10-17_17-9-27.jpeg

I noticed 2 advantage of doing this mod vs getting the factory conversion kit: (a)Because I am using the original foams, those black plastic fastener pins can still pin the foams to the car tight vs if you order the conversion kit from the dealer, those plastic pins would not reach the holes so they are just loose. (b)the trunk floor is about 1.5" deeper than the factory conversion kit, judging from the pictures of the other member's post. Overall, It works well and for very little money.

I want to thank everyone especially Hammersmith for his posting of the very useful thread, and here is my contribution & sharing and hope other people can benefit from it. I decided to create a separate thread specifically for the LE model because that thread is 18 pages long with 300+ replies and it included many different applications for different trims and it's very hard to sort things out and remember all. God Bless!

#1 Humble Bear, Oct 17, 2024 at 7:35 PM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2024 at 8:09 PM
    bisco likes this.
  2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice howto and explanation about why you started the thread. The more you add to the forum the easier it gets to sort stuff. All the different model and Gen advice can get boring beyond words can describe much like trying to figure out which model the owners manual is describing and questioning if the model you own even has the feature it's describing.
    I just put one of my snows or OEM's in winter behind the drivers seat. I'd seriously dislike having to use the OEM jack in winter to change a flat or blowout. Might want to double check how tight your wheels are to the hubs after 10 or 15k miles. My OEMs stick to the hub like nobodies business. I'll eventually fix that but probably after I'll need extra tools to get the wheels off. I seriously hope yours don't get the galvanic build up like mine get after 2 or 3 k miles, adding to the distaste for the OEM jack even on solid pavement.

#2 vvillovv, Oct 17, 2024 at 8:21 PM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2024 at 8:48 PM
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done! looks professional