1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vandalized/broken into . . . what should I ask my window installer?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by teiresias, Mar 18, 2012.

1. teiresias

teiresias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So my front passenger window was smashed this past Friday night while I was parked overnight in DC. My glove compartment was rummaged through, but the only thing of note in there that was taken (and only because I forgot to take it out for the first time in forever - figures) was my iPod, but they didn't take anything else.

In any case, I have a call into a reputable glass dealer in the area that some friends of mine say do good work, but I'm wondering what I should ask about the glass itself. I'd guess, unless I'm willing to pay a huge sum, that I won't be getting OEM Toyota glass in the window, but are there glass "brands" I should ask about them using? I was going to pay it out of pocket since my glass deductible is $500, but depending on the price I may still go the insurance route if I can get better glass that way.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about your incident.

Safelite is the national brand most recommended by insurance companies.

I wish you lived in South Carolina. Auto glass has "no deductible," even when the comprehensive policy has a $500 deductible. I had a windshield repaired by Safelite. The repair has a "lifetime" warranty. There were no issues.

Best of luck to you on the repair.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think the only "better" glass is if you get the rain-repellent glass used on the Four and Five, assuming you want to pay extra for it. Someone replaced the front windshield with aftermarket and couldn't tell the difference, and this was on a Five with ATP with special dot matrix pattern for the Lane Keep Assist camera.