1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Trunk and Hood

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by msmit002, Sep 16, 2006.

1. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

So, I was outside with the Prius and about ready to slap on my new magnetic bumper "stickers" that arrived today. Imagine my surprise when I found out that magnets don't stick to the rear door of my Prius. <_< So, I started checking the other body panels. Sure enough, I can get the magnets to stick to the doors, fenders and gas door, but not the hood or the trunk. My husband watched me try to slap thos things on the car three times in a row, and watched me watch them slide right off. He was laughing so hard, I thought he was going to seriously hurt himself. Finally I just shrugged my sholders and took my new magnets inside and slapped them on the fridge. :rolleyes:

So, what are those two panels made from? They don't have that tell-tale "thud" sound when you knock on it like my old Saturn's door panels. But even my old Saturn had a steel hood and trunk.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea. I thought they were made from aluminium (alloy).

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

yes the hood and the hatch are made of aluminum. The hood comes in a box that weights more than it. The hatch gets it's strength from the glass. Bare it weights about 12Lbs. Don't ask how I know.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Sep 16 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]320728[/snapback]</div>
    Like that's gonna happen. What did you do to your hood and hatch???

Yes, they're Al. The roof is steel though, so you can advertise to the airliners.

5. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Small world. I did the exact same thing with a magnetic bumper sticker last week, and was a bit dumbfounded too. I wondered if it was a coating, because I felt like I was getting some magnetic adhesion, but not much.

So yeah Frank - how'd you know?

6. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Hey, that's great! It kinda makes my Prius a genetic little brother to its stablemate, my Audi A8. It has an aluminum hood and trunk, too. (and doors and bodywork and frame, as well)

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Sep 16 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]320744[/snapback]</div>
    she got rear ended by an Econoline Van and shove into a slip deck tow truck. 1 month old. I did some posting on it back in feb of 2004 and I still think that the trunk plate is a defective design element of the Prius. It subducted and hit the HV battery. Thru it away when the car was repaired.