1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius shopping, nobody told you?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eefficiency, Jul 6, 2005.

1. eefficiency

eefficiency New Member

FIRST COMPLAINT.
    Are you the kind of person who hates programming a wrist watch? Well, many functions of lights, beeps, locks, smart key functions, touch menus can be altered by reprogramming or initiating in a certain order of operation, that can be exasperating for the new owner.

I am going through my first week of learning curve: finding out if back doors or windows can be operated when car is powered off or in various modes of powering up or engine on, can I be inside the car or have to be outside, or do I have to use the smart key.

If you read the fine print in the owner's manual, the smart key can be reprogrammed so that all the doors open automatically at once(which is my preference so passengers don't have to wait on me). I had to hold the lock button down simultaneously and well as the panic button for 5 secs until I heard the right combinations of beeps from the car, for the unlocking mode I wanted.

What's all the secrecy? I think it would be better to have function menus on the touch screen that allow you make these changes in plain English. :guns: Or is being occult a cultural difference?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've yet to see a Japanese vehicle within the lower price range with a customise menu. Hmm, actually, I haven't checked if the LS430 even has a customise menu.

3. c4

c4 Active Member

That's actually a very good question- Why the series of complicated operations (eg, shift up/down, brake on/off, hold this button for 5 seconds and open and close the door 6 times, sacrifice 3 goats to Cthulu, dance counterclockwise around your car naked 3 times under a full moon, except if its a Tuesday in which case you go clockwise*) vs. a nice uncomplicated menu selection?

Heck even the dealers have trouble with a common operation like programming new keys/fobs, but there's a perfectly good MFD with touch screen input available, and dealers could use the THHT- there is really no need for the complicated door opening, button pushing, pedal stomping maneuvers, so it makes you wonder what the heck these guys were smoking when the wrote the software..

If they wanted to prevent casual or accidental changes, the simple thing would have been to require a programming interlock or jumper to be installed before the programming could be changed..

* Actually, if you've looked at the procedures for emissions test mode and alarm system passive/active mode changes the procedures are not far off from this..

4. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

Hi Tech sometimes carries a degree of High Stress, just the way it is with the Prius is all....much like High Performance usually coincides with High Maintenence.....but, between the two comparisons, I'd take Hi Tech anyday, and learn to adapt to my changing world. It took me a couple of days to fully go through the kinks and bugs, but it's the best car I've owned once I fully understood her moods :wink:

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    high tech is high stress because we nearly almost always overcomplicate the problem.

90% of problems i see are solved by "thoroughly" checking the basics.

the other 9.7% of the problems comes from users who refuse to go back and check the basics because they think they know so much about their computer that they are qualified to eliminate the obvious but at the same time are not smart enough to figure out the problem

tech support is nothing but glorified baby sitting

6. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the thing. The THHT is a pretty straight forward device to use. It is hierarchial menu driven and as such requires that the tech working on the car can read the repair manual and the screen on the tester. So, programming a new fob for 04-05 Prius is basically pretty straight forward. It requires that at least one master key be around for the programming, but that is more of a security measure rather than just plain inconvenience.

The reason the touch screen doesn't interface with user options is because those options are stored in a different computer system than the MFD is connected to. On top of that, manufactures of vehicles want changes to the computer systems on their vehicles to be very deliberate. Meaning that if you want to add a new coded key or change the backup beep, you need to know what you are doing and you must want to do it. Plus, the Prius is basically an embedded system. Embedded computer systems are not designed to be easy to use, so much as they are designed to accomplish a specific task or set of tasks.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but it's kind of annoying to go to the dealer to set the sensitivity of the headlight control, how long the lights stay on after you lock the car etc.