1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius resetting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Qinti, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Qinti

Qinti New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2009, keeps resetting and sometimes doesnt even start...and then after 10 minutes, i try again and it starts...it sounds like 12V, but its brand new...i was rear ended not long ago, and since then the car started acting up...would the diagnostic find an issue at the hybrid battery? Im not even sure if the car would start at all if the hybrid had the issue...

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the electrical connections in the 12v battery area need attention...

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In the back under your right tail light is where your car 12 volt battery grounds It's a silver connection with a 10 mm bolt and it goes straight to the negative battery terminal You can see it by moving the tan or gray plastic piece that's connected to the tray that lifts up so you can take the battery out but you can just move that piece of plastic and slide it to the side and lift it up and remove it and look in with a flashlight and see the ground connection has that been bashed by your accident? You need to be looking in this area where the 12 volt is and see maybe the 12 volt is actually cracked and jail or battery acid is leaked out and is sitting on the metal where the battery goes look with a flashlight carefully if you don't want to remove the battery to have a look what's the measurement across the terminals with a voltmeter 12 volts? No the engine will not start without the hybrid battery being able to make that happen so you being able to start the car every so often I don't think is a problem with the hybrid battery more than likely 12 volt communication and all of that sort of thing things have to speak to each other for relays to open and all this and that to happen before the engine ever gets to the starting point.