1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Cracks May Top-10 Sales Chart

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ozyran, Jun 28, 2007.

1. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Full Story Here

BTW, read through the comments posted. Seems like there's still a nasty disposition from the majority...the minority is getting bigger, though!

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Jun 28 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]469824[/snapback]</div>
    The numbers speak for themselves. Toyota was trying to ramp up to 170K Prius sales this year (in the U.S.), from a little over 100K last year. I figure they're about halfway there already, could pass 200K for the year.

Leftlanenews doesn't seem to have as big an audience as PriusChat, and leans to new-model car enthusiasts, probably high-end car enthusiasts, so it's definitely a different demographic. I tried registering and logging in, but still couldn't figure out how to leave a comment.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun 28 2007, 09:34 PM) [snapback]469844[/snapback]</div>
    wow top 10!! that is awesome. too bad because the waiting list in this area is starting to get pretty long so once again, we have a supply problem. hopefully, it will not get as bad as 2½ years ago. cant help but wonder where Toyota would be if they had enough supply to fill current demand

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Jun 28 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]469824[/snapback]</div>
    Re: The comments.

Its amazing how people adopt a hard opinion about something (Prius) when they really don't know very much about it. Its fear of change or fear of having to examine their own beliefs or something I just don't get. I don't understand why they think that people are being fooled into buying a Toyota. I wasn't.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been fooled for almost 4 years now....I feel terrible.
    BTW, just filled up at 70.6mpg...I feel terrible.

6. Topgas

Topgas New Member

What sacrifice, 50 mpg, plenty of room and very dependable. This has been a huge burden on our family to have to fill up each week with 6 gals of gas. Maybe a Prius support group is in order......

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm tearing up right now thinking of what a fool I've been...the Pain....Oh the agony!

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Whatever.
    It's LeftLaneNews. These people are annoyed that the car previously featured in an article entitled "Life in the Slow Lane" has made inroads into their site.

Though I do have to admit that I am disappointed by my recent mileage. I was hoping for much more than 66MPG by this time of the year but I'm struggling right now to get out of high 65. What an utter disappointment. I'm going to have to trade it in for one of those more practical cars like the "1 series diesel coupes" from BMW or the Cobalt mentioned in the comments.

[sarcasm] At this rate, the gas savings from my wife's Buick Regal are out pacing my Prius. [/sarcasm]

9. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It wouldn't be worth raising my blood pressure to get involved responding to those morons.

Let them keep pumping $$$'s into their gas hogs.

Harry

10. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow those comments are something else... but then again, there are still people who think Dubbya is doing a good job.. or worse, those with the mindset that "Well it's better than a democrat" would have done, which really pisses me off (also when the reverse happens ..better than a rep..)

11. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Thought about firing back - then decided that the problem with idiots is that there are an endless number of them. I think they breed faster than we do....

12. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Those who posted their idiotic comments below that article may be excused for their ignorance. But apparently today's university journalism students can only regurgitate junk and not do any real research. What a sad statement on our education system:

http://star.txstate.edu/content/view/3423/

13. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not very good at math -I admit it.

But - I bought the Prius for several reasons, size, hatchback, Toyoto reliability and maintenance, gas savings, quietness, etc.

I am filling up a smaller tank with gas about once a month, instead of a larger tank 3-4 times a month.

What cars "pay for themselves"? They all cost something to drive and maintain. Most that I have owned cost a lot more than this Prius.

14. Zoozoo3

Zoozoo3 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Jun 29 2007, 11:41 AM) [snapback]470086[/snapback]</div>
    Amen to that! I bought my Prius for all the above reasons as well as trading a 5 speed for an automatic. With a student driver in the family (our 4th) and our other vehicle being a 3/4 ton Ford F150 (necessary for pulling my husband's boat) I needed an automatic for my daughter to practice on. My Eclipse was not learner-friendly, although it was great fun to drive and was the most dependable car I have ever had. Being a 6 cylinder it was only getting about 21 mpg. So the move to a Prius was a no-brainer. I got double (to almost triple at times) mpg, much more interior room, the ability to have 4-5 people ride comfortably without someone having to have their knees in their faces, much more cargo space, Toyota quality and reputation, a smoother and quieter ride, reduced emissions, and the smartest car on the highway! I'd say this was one of the best decisions I have ever made. :D

15. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Jun 28 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]469855[/snapback]</div>
    But we should admit PriusChat community can be just as narrow-minded. It would be like if our arch-enemy GM was the first to publicly announce they will build a plug-in hybrid that can go EV for short trips, and hybrid mode for long trips, our Holy Grail, but we despised them and ridiculed them for it. :angry:
    Oh wait, they did and we did. :eek:

16. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun 29 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]470114[/snapback]</div>
    Announcing and producing are two different things. The vast majority of this community would stand up and applaud when GM actually produces their 'announced' vehicle. Being skeptical of an announcement is much different than being misinformed, narrow-minded, and hard nosed about a vehicle that has been in production for 7 years, with much success. I bet that a significant majority of the people here will be the first to buy GM's vehicle if they had the money to buy one and GM had the vehicles to sale.

17. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zoozoo3 @ Jun 29 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]470104[/snapback]</div>
    Me too, I get a tonne of satisfaction from owning my Prius. I feel sorry for those people who are out to lunch - leaving those comments with hugely bogus arguments, unfairly slamming the Prius.

If anybody here is able to post a message on the leftlanenews article perhaps you would like to leave a link for this thread on there, so that maybe some of those people would read what's written here and perhaps decide to become less ignorant. Worth a shot. No?

Thanks

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

A very rare occurrence, today I filled my tank with gas. Cost me about $27 for the last 3-4 weeks. The previous user of the pump spent $86 and change. And I'm willing to bet that's at least once per week. I feel like such a fool. NOT.

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just yesterday I had a funny gas station experience . . .

Pulling into a Costco station I notice a SUV getting ready to leave. The other lines were two or three cars deep . . . seems nobody wanted to get stuck behind the SUV and pump from the "wrong side" . . . so I pulled right in - but was trailed by two other cars.
    Another SUV (I think it was an Excursion) was already pumping away at the forward pump. About half way through my nine gallon fill-up, the driver of the SUV in front of me climbs into the monster. The fellow behind me didn't see that the pump was still in the SUV and that the driver was apparently just taking a well deserved rest break - but he proceeded to pull his car around and preposition himself along side me.

About a minute later I was finished pumping and got back in my car. I figured the guy along side would see that I was finished and move . . . but he didn't.

I got out and motioned to him that I wanted out. The doof rolled down his passenger window and said while pointing at the SUV, "I'm waiting for him." I replied, "that could take a loooong time - I'm done and ready to leave."

The guy made a frown and rolled his eyes like I'M putting HIM out! :huh:
    The Costco attendant saw what was going on and was making her way over, so I got back in my car. The attendant started shooing the other car back so I could get out.

Even after pulling out of the station and looking back when I was driving down the road, the SUV driver was still sitting there and pumping away.

Not only do us Prius drivers frequent gas stations less often, we spend less time there too. :lol:

20. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Discouraging. Anyone have a link to a cogent, succinct article that discredits the CNW study?