1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help (urgent).. Am I making a big mistake?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MooseMunchCT, Sep 29, 2024.

1. MooseMunchCT

MooseMunchCT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I put a deposit on a 2012 CT200h Premium with a GREAT service history. It’s at 100k miles and has some minor scratches and cosmetic blemishes. The wheels all have some curb rash. The interior is almost perfect. Pearl white in color. $10k OTD from a small local dealer.

I'm having second thoughts after reading all weekend about experts and owners saying avoid gen3 Prius or CT200h.

it drives smooth, and was previously certified by Lexus.

Recently the PCV valve was replaced, throttle body cleaning was done, cooling system serviced, transmission service, brake fluid service, and new tires. Oil has been replaced religiously every 5k miles by previous owner at a Toyota dealership.

Should I wait for something more reliable, or will I be ok with this one? I was initially looking at a 2016 Prius but the price difference is more than $6k.

I’m scheduled to finalize the deal tomorrow late morning ‍♂️

2. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's a great car and a great price. It'll last til 200k before needing anything. There are worse cars u could buy, ie, Nissan Chrysler range Rover, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Fiat etc

MooseMunchCT likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Read egr cleaning on here then make a conclusion.

Mendel Leisk and MooseMunchCT like this.
  4. MooseMunchCT

MooseMunchCT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here are some photos for reference..

Attached Files:

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And for $100,000 mi is worth 10K then you're good I wouldn't touch it personally I have a car almost this clean sitting in my driveway keeps needing a motor put one in 10,000 12,000 mi back to rattling and cutting up again another motor another lot of fixing maybe No one wants to do that It's not worth the time you'll never get the money back out of it but that's all cars so there you go luckily I only have 4,000 in the mess I have you're going to have 10 in this if you're lucky enough to make the other hundred K to 200,000 with uneventful business then good on you I guess I personally wouldn't take the risk I would look at the 2.5 l anything It's a 2.5 hybrid It gets you out of most of this business with this engine you're dealing with right now or will be dealing with so there's always that but you're in planned obsolescence here anything you're looking at in any of these years is not made to be with us very long that's the mantra of the auto manufacturing industry today so that's the game you're playing Good luck and enjoy.

6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    IMHO; it's a nicely equipped Prius C. Look underneath it - how much rust? I wouldn't hesitate on a south west USA car, but if it's been driven in the winters up there. Your money, your choice.

Just saying....

What happened to the cargo cover, is the spare tire and tools there? FWIW: I only paid $5K more OTD new, for my old 2012 Prius C. I think the Lexus version was around 20K new.

#6 BiomedO1, Sep 30, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2024
  7. DirkAshburn

DirkAshburn Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd pass at 10k, maybe 7-8k I'd think about it. It won't be long until all the other small things start needing to be replaced, shocks, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc. All that adds up quickly and who knows when the hybrird battery will need replacing. Could be months, could be years.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sound like a great car for a great price... You've studeid up on the risks... I say roll the dice and I bet you luck out on this one, especially if you plan to upgrade the hybrid battery to: http://www.sodiumhybrid.com/?ref=9qLPw

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too much negative potential, it certainly would be a roll of the dice. for 10k, if you don't seriously diy, i would avoid hybrids

BiomedO1 likes this.
  10. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yep, If you don't know anything about cars and don't do any wrenching - you'd be a sitting duck, tied to a peg for any dishonest mechanic. It's basic transportation with a Lexus logo on it... Powertrain and underpinnings are the same as a Prius C. You may have rear disk brakes instead of drums.

Just my 2-cents

11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Forgot to mention oil
    Catch can also.

12. gboss

gboss Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The kbb on my 2013 Prius is $11-12k…a Lexus version of the gen 3 with 10k miles less on the odometer seems like a great deal. Just check for rust and use a code reader then clean the egr/intake, replace plugs,change fluids …that thing should be good for another 100k without major issues.

No idea why some people wouldn’t go for it.

13. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    $10K out the door.... fees and taxes included so that's perhaps $1500.

Yes, look under the car !!!! if as clean as you describe the interior and exterior, price seems okay.
    As for dependability, check the service records, noting the car did reach 100K intact.

Sure, you could pay another shop to do a leak-down and compression check to verify ICE condition and also pay to have the hybrid battery checked. Even check the brake pads. Perhaps that would "ease your worried mind".

One can never predict a breakdown, for example, the water pump could fail without warning.
    One can do all the fluid changes, other basic maintenance, and EGR cleaning to have a "fresh ownership start".

Good luck with your decision.

14. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'd buy it. How are u enjoying it so far