1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. ScoopBergen

ScoopBergen New Member

I'm about ready for the 5K oil change. I usually go to a quick-lube place; but wonder if they are savvy enough to do the right thing with a Prius.
    Are they? Or what should I tell them if I go?

Scoop Bergen

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tell them to make real sure they don't overfill it, make sure they got an oil filter that fits the Prius, and consider finding a good Toyota dealer to go to. Mine is actually cheaper than Jiffy Lube

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would go to a Toyota dealer.

mine did my Prius and i told them to not overfill it and the the guy doing the change says that they have been warned about overfilling. i guess they have prefilled containers for all toyota models they use.

they are instructed to pour in a portion of the oil, check the level and then add the rest. i watched him do it and the way they do it made it easy for even a casual observer to realize that they dont take anything for granted.

i asked him if this practice was standard with all toyota service departments and he said he thought it was. i told him that several people have had problems with overfilling and he did state that they got recent memos on new fill procedures and stuff.

i also asked him not to reset my tire pressure but he stated that he wasnt allowed to knowingly let the vehicle go out of specs even with the owners permission.

he also mentioned and showed me using a tire caliper tool that my front tires had increased wear that was attributable to higher tire pressures and that he recomended rotations more frequently if i continued the higher pressures as the rear tires arent affected as much by higher pressures.