1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius died in the middle of the highway today!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chillma13, Oct 19, 2024 at 7:46 PM.

1. Chillma13

Chillma13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    It is at the Pep Boys for now and I wanted to get “second opinions” on what went wrong, if possible?

Car started perfectly normally, was driving as usual. Had lunch, bought some groceries and was on the way home on a fairly busy highway near my home. Red light ahead, everybody slowing down including me. Car paused…then light turned green. Everybody started moving again but when I hit the gas, my car didn’t budge!?!

I turned my car off totally, waited a minute or so, and restarted. it seemed like every light on the dashboard was on…literally lights I have never seen before. I tried to put the car into Drive but it would only go into Neutral. However I still had music playing, had air-conditioning, could roll my windows down and up as usual?

Stuck in the center lane of the highway! So I called 911, cops came and pushed me to the side of the road (thank you guys!!!) and tow truck came and towed it to Pep Boys - the only place open on Saturday.

They have replaced the 12volt battery, but that did not,fix the issue. Their “master tchnician” is going to look at it on Monday morning, but I want to be educated and not just believe everything they tell me (and charge me for…)???

if this has happened to you, what did it turn out to be?
    Or any ideas….?
    Thanks!!!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A blown inverter will do that. Pep Boys has no chance of diagnosing a hybrid. Most likely they don’t have a scanner capable of reading all hybrid codes. Get it to a dealer and hope it’s the inverter since that diagnosis and repair would be free.

PS: A good shop would have load tested the 12v battery before replacing it. Did they do that or just shotgun it?