1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage tax proposed for state's drivers

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by inventor00, Aug 19, 2004.

1. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mileage tax proposed for state's drivers
    Opponents include privacy advocates and owners of hybrid vehicles.

By HANH KIM QUACH
    The Orange County Register
    Thursday, August 19, 2004

John Luster of Orange piloted his new silver Toyota Prius 300 miles up to the Sequoia National Park earlier this month, using just six gallons of gasoline.

Had Luster driven his Acura Integra, he would have used twice as much fuel - and paid twice as much gas tax.

But what's good for Luster (and the environment) is bad for state highway funds: The state got half as much tax revenue to deal with the same amount of wear and tear on the roads.

It's a looming problem as hybrids become more popular, and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's government-reform commission has come up with a solution: Tax motorists based on the miles they drive, not the amount of gas they consume.

The idea from the California Performance Review is just that at this point: an idea. It would have to go through extensive debate to come to fruition.

But it's not at all far-fetched. Oregon will do a test run of such a "vehicle- miles traveled" system next year.

The plan, which still requires legislative approval there, would put a $100 global- positioning-system device in every new car in Oregon. The device would beam drivers' in-state mileage to a satellite, which would then send the information to the service station where the driver is refueling so the proper tax can be levied at the pump.

Three hundred drivers will be monitored for six months next year in the Eugene area in the pilot project. The U.S. Department of Transportation, Utah, New York and now California are closely watching for the results.

The proposal here raises a number of concerns: One is that it could discourage drivers from buying fuel-efficient cars. Another is that it could open the door to state surveillance of motorists.

THE RECOMMENDATIONS
    The California Performance Review Commission recommends developing a pilot project to test whether the state could levy a user fee based on how uch each driver uses roads. The report suggests a fee of .1 cents per mile traveled.

"You're setting up a system of surveillance allegedly to aid with taxation," said Annalee Newitz, policy analyst for the San Francisco-based Electronic Frontier Foundation. "This is incredibly invasive."

This door has already been opened, though - sometimes by motorists themselves.

Security and convenience have already prompted thousands to mount trackable electronic devices in their vehicles.

LoJack security devices, mini radio transceivers mounted on an automobile, can be activated by authorities when a vehicle is stolen. Toll transponders and radio-frequency identifications help commuters pay tolls on the fly. And OnStar, the 24-hour help line, locates a vehicle using a global-positioning system and gives live assistance when drivers are lost or need help.

By and large, however, these technologies are used voluntarily.

James Whitty, who heads the Oregon pilot project for the state's transportation department, maintains the GPS would detect only whether the car is inside or outside of Oregon and how many miles it has traveled in state - not its every movement.

"There are people who hear 'GPS,' and they think it's some exotic military device," said Whitty, who said the state will not have the ability, or desire, to monitor drivers' traveling habits. The Oregon device would be a "glorified compass," he said.

Joan Borucki, chief deputy director at the California Transportation Commission and a member of the California Performance Review team that made the recommendation here, insists the device could not track residents' whereabouts.

"The bottom line is, they couldn't tell where these people have been. That's just not going to be there," she said.

The key question for some is what happens with the data the state does collect. The answer in the case of toll-collection devices already in use is that it can end up in the hands of law enforcement.

Motorists in Orange County, for example, can use FasTrak transponders mounted on their windshields to pay tolls on the Eastern, San Joaquin and Foothill toll roads. The FasTrak application tells them, "Your account information is only used by the toll roads, and we do not give or sell your information to anyone."

But the Transportation Corridor Agencies, which runs the Orange County toll roads, has shared some motorists' information with law enforcement under subpoena or when there was a legitimate criminal investigation, said spokeswoman Lisa Telles.

Right up there with the privacy debate is a fairness debate.

From the state's perspective, there needs to be a fair way to have motorists pay for building and maintaining roads they use.

"Eventually, if someday we switch to no-fossil fuel, we'd have to replace the funding source," said Joel Riphagen, transportation analyst for the nonpartisan Legislative Analysts' Office. "We really need to start looking at it as we begin to switch fuel sources or increase gas mileage."

But some drivers who have invested in fuel-efficient vehicles say a miles-driven tax would discourage people from buying energy-efficient vehicles and punish people who already own them.

"You will have a revolt coming out of your ears," said George Margolin, an inventor who lives in Newport Beach. Margolin and his wife, Cathy, traded in her Nissan 300Z for a Prius in March.

To improve the state's roads, Margolin said the state needs a steady stream of money and needs to come up with creative ways to pay for roads - such as getting more businesses that benefit from roads to pay for them. "You would not be doing that by increasing the cost of gas (through a miles-driven tax). Philosophically, that's a no- win situation."

Luster, who has had his Toyota Prius about a month, understands the state's bind and said he would be willing to pay higher taxes. However, he believes some of the money is misdirected.

"It's not right to put that money into nothing other than road building. We need to put that money into something that would get people around more efficiently," Luster said.

But if all 31 million vehicle owners switched to hybrids, the state would still face the same congestion and road- maintenance problems, policy analysts said.

"Hybrids are great. They use less fuel but take up exactly the same space on the road as a Hummer," said Dan Beal, manager of public policy for the Costa Mesa-based Automobile Club of Southern California.

He says the state is headed in the right direction in thinking about alternatives to paying for roads, but taxes based on miles driven are not flawless.

Charging a person using the San Diego (405) Freeway during rush hour in Los Angeles the same amount as a person flying up Interstate 5 in the Central Valley is a problem because it doesn't reflect a driver's "load" on the system.

"It's similar to going to a movie Friday night versus Tuesday afternoon," he said.

"Ultimately, what we need is a system where your use is based on when you use it, where you use it and the distance you travel on it," Beal said.

How much state gas tax you pay depends on the mileage of your make of car. Here’s an estimate for three cars, based on each traveling 15,000 miles per year. The tax, 18 cents per gallon, is levied at the pump.

Average miles per gallon
    Yearly gas tax

2004 Toyota Prius
    $52.94

2004 Honda Accord
    $112.50

2004 Hummer H1
    $245.45

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If they can put a chip in your car like that, with how computer-controlled cars are today, they could link the chip into your computers controls and link that into a GPS system with the speed limits integrated and keep your car from exceeding the limit in any given zone.

It's all maddeningly Big Brotherish.

This country is one based around liberty and trust...not safety and strict rules, but all systems must stagnate and crumble.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A vehicle’s wear and tear on a road is proportional to the weight of the vehicle. A Hummer is rightfully paying more per mile in tax because of its low MPG - which is mainly attributed to its weight. Going to a miles driven formula would effectively lower the tax on the Hummer and raise it on a Prii. Instead, states should use a formula based on the overall average fuel efficiency of all vehicles in the state. Raising the gas tax yearly and in line with the average overall fuel efficiency would result in the state receiving the same amount of tax money year after year - rewarding fuel efficiency, and penalizing gas guzzlers.

I can not imagine any Air Resources District agreeing with a miles driven formula.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree... what about semi's and large 4 by pickups with off road tires??

there is a thousand what if's and lets face it. the state is looking for the easy way out. they obviously are much more willing to fight Toyota and the small (but growing!!) hybrid community then taking on the oil companies with their multi billion dollar legal fund.

it is just like the oil companies to find some chickensh** way of fighting back when they know we have a better idea. they have been doing it for years and dont even think that just because the legistration came from the dept of transportation that i dont know where the idea really came from.

5. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

I'd use a formula something like this:

$ Constant x Miles driven x vehicle Weight x Emission Factor

or:

C x M x W x EF

Heck, heavier vehicles are harder on the roads, and those with high exhaust emissions are harder on the environment. Those vehicles should pay more because they cost us all more in one way or the other.

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The whole thing is nonsense. If they're getting less fuel tax money in because vehicles are, say, on average 10% more efficient, all they need to do to recover the revnue is raise their tax take on fuel by 10%.

Why spend so much time and effort on complicating things?

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BNG4DBK - a billion dollars.

KMO - That is exactly what I said . . . except you said it more efficiently . . . less internet tax for you!

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It could end up with the "Gas Meter" person coming around weekly to check odometers so bills can be sent.

I love these 'fair' taxes, the ones that hit everybody. Unless you already write off all your expenses for gas as business expenses, like I expect everyone who already ducks the other taxes does...

9. impreza

impreza New Member

I like Ken Cooper’s formula. I’ve always felt that car taxes should be more in tune with how much affect the car has on society. Thus, including the weight and emissions as part of the calculation seems cool.

So I was thinking about how to operationalize a system that is based upon Ken’s formula. How’s this:
    Every year you would get your car inspected like you already do in almost every state in the USA. At the inspection, your weight and emissions and maybe MPG would be calculated and this data would be plugged into a bar code that would go into your sticker. What would NOT go into that bar code was who you are or where you live. No personal data at all. Also, the kind of car would be in that bar code.

Then when you go to get gas, you could only get gas if you had a bar code for the pump to read. There would need maybe to be system to override this for lets say when you get gas for your lawn mower. Your tax would be determined by some formula that would be based upon the calculations from your last inspection.

This would assure everyone’s freedom to drive the heaviest and most foul polluting vehicle there is. In fact, it could even have an expired inspection and still be allowed to drive. But the calculation of the tax that you would be charged would take all that into account. As an example, you could drive a 10,000 pound behemoth that gets 2 mpg and adds 2 pounds of pollution per mile to the air and has a 3 year expired inspection sticker, but you would have to pay a $25 dollar per gallon tax. Or you could buy a 2000 pound gas sipper that has zero pollution and pay 25 cents per gallon tax.

So how do you assure that people don’t get fake stickers? This one is easy. You also give the police “readers†so when they pull you over, they can read the sticker and if the sticker says the car weighs 2000 pounds and is a Prius Hybrid, the cop can simply use his eyes to see it is not. Then confiscate the car right then and there with horrendous fees to reclaim it.

Again, freedom and choice are maintained, but with that freedom and choice will be accountability and consequence. You can drive what you want, destroy highways with your weight and the air we breath and worsen our dependence on dangerous reliance on foreign oil, but you will pay through the nose for that freedom.

Of course, different formulas would need to be made for businesses and industry. Note I said different formulas and not “exempt†from the formulas.

10. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

. . . wait a second. . .
    $100 per GPS system? Someone would have to drive 100,000 miles at .1 cents per mile to reach $100. Plus the added costs of the system to monitor vehicles, gather data, and collect the taxes (and more work for already backlogged tax collectors).

Basically what I'm saying is: wouldn't it be easier just to put a $100 tax on new cars? (according to AAA, an average user owns a car 5 years and 75,000 miles).

11. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When the OC Register talked to us originally, the first thing I said afterwards was how would they do it? Another black box?
    And that turns out to be the case-
    What privacy?

I assume our Prius already have a black box that reports accident information .

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    impreza - Apparently you have not heard the saying “Keep it Simple, Stupid.â€

How would cars visiting or passing through your state buy gas?

Maybe we could also have laser beams on an interstate check the air pressure of every car that drives past and add a penalty to the formula if your tires are not within two PSI of each other or the recommended pressure. Of course this system would also have to have a camera record the license plate and another take a picture of the car for cross reference purposes . . . because, after all, air pressure has much to do with mileage and resultant air pollution as other parts of the formula. Rube Goldberg would be proud!

Sun__Tzu - That would be a regressive tax on pollution. You want to tax the old car for polluting, not tax the new car for the pollution it is not producing. You want the new car to be less expensive to operate and the old polluting car to be more expensive to operate . . . planned obsolescence for polluting cars!

13. impreza

impreza New Member

bar codes for gas

Sufferin' Prius Envy You're right about out-of-staters. I'll work on that one.

However, I'm not sure my point conflicts with "keeping it simple". The bar code idea would all be built into a computer and so would be simple. Plugging that into a printer so special stickers get made is also pretty simple. Right now a bunch of forms get printed at my local inspection station when I go for an emmisons check. Some of those forms already have a bar code on it.

Plus, cops already have computers and on the back of my drivers license is a bar code, so the cops probably already have scanners or will soon.

The only probelm is to add a scanner at the pump. Seeing as how almost every small store in the USA has a scanner at the cash register, and probably up to 90% of the gas stations where I live have credit card readers at the pump for "pay at the pump", I'm not so sure that it would be all that difficult to put some kind of scanner on the pump.

And as for "overides", for out of staters, it would probably simply mean that when an out of stater came through your station, they would be forced to go into the store to pay for their gas and not pay at the pump. You could make them bring in their registration so the vehicle data could be calculated from it and then they could be issued a temporary bar code that would be based upon an "average" emmision for that type of vehicle.
    This temporary could be for 30 days of something and after the first visit, they could then "pay at the pump".

Or something similar.

Supermarkets and banks have gone very far with bar codes and computers and stuff. Why can't gas stations and state governments?

I'll always remember the day when I got money from my local Rhode Island bank from an ATM in Paris France. Yet a few weeks later I read about a murderer who was pulled over in one state in the USA but was let go because they had no way to know that the person was wanted in another state. It was pitiful how far ahead we were with banking and how far behind we were with criminal justice.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    omg!!

are we overcomplicating this or what!!!

all this has come about for what reason?? that is the real question... is it the loss of highway revenue from hybrids using less gas and therefore being taxed less?? or is this a result of some other issue??

how about the issue of the runaway popularity of hybrid vehicles and the oil companies and big 3 watching their cash cow moving to the pasture across the road to graze.

the cost to implement such a system would far outweigh the loss fo revenue from hybrid vehicles for the next 10 years. get my drift?>

this aint about how to assess and distribute taxation, its about BIG BUSINESS continuing to dictate how we live by making hybrids unattractive in any way that they can. unfortunately (for them, great for us) the old arguments of
    "its too slow"
    "its too inconveinent"
    "it doesnt have the range"
    "it simply doesnt work as well"

dont work any more. so they have to find another avenue of attack.

its my belief that if the supply had been available, that the Prius would have been in the top 5 for best selling passenger sedan OF ANY KIND!! and i think the big 3 feels the same way.

this legislation is so uncharacteristic of CA its unreal. here they are penalizing high mileage, low poluting cars. what has brought this complete 360º turnabout?

well that answer is obvious. same reason that makes anyone go against what they believe in... MONEY

California legistators... you are pathetic... thanks for the sellout... just dont spread your ideas to Washington State.

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Um, maybe not. I'm pretty sure that if you put a Prius on top of a Hummer, there would still be plenty of metal showing :) Interesting that "The Humminator" proposes changing the tax structure for his personal gain. Owners of gas guzzlers already complain that they pay an unfair portion of the highway taxes because they use more gas. I guess they don't recognize that they also put an unfair portion of the wear and tear on it. IF they decide to do some "miles driven" tax, I like Ken Cooper's calculation as it takes into account all the factors.

And, what happens if this is the one thing that causes people to car pool like crazy? They'll have to change it all over again because they won't be getting enough tax money.

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: bar codes for gas

How would you stop forged out-of-state registrations from being used? You don’t actually expect the schmuck behind the counter at the busy quicky gas mart to confirm that the Hummer at pump #18 really isn’t an out-of-state Prii ~ do ya? License plate scan? FINE! A forged magnetic license plate to go along with the forged papers.

ALSO

How would you stop someone from transferring gas from one car to another? For instance, if I owned a Prius and a Hummer (please shoot me if I ever do) . . . I would take the Prii to buy the cheap gas and then transfer it to the Hummer. Or better yet, have my wife drive the Hummer up to the gas pump using the other lane, fill up the Prii . . . then fill up the Hummer - all on the Prii’s bar code.

Solve these problems and you may come up with a system that would make Rube Goldberg blush in embarrassment that he did not think of your system. . . He is dead you know. But his legacy can live on!

Make it foolproof and they will make a better fool.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    YOU THINK WE DON\'T KNOW THAT ???

This is the type of doofs we have under the dome:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/sto...-11327114c.html

John Burton, President pro tem of the California State Senate, D-San Francisco, upon learning that governor Schwarzenegger’s administration was denying further state funding to cover cost overruns for building a new eastern span of the San Francisco Bay Bridge said, "The Bay Bridge is an interstate and a state highway. If it falls down, I don't know how people from L.A. get to Sacramento."

DUUUHHHH . . . . I-5 maybe? . . . straight shot up the valley . . . shortest and fastest route between the two cities. And it doesn’t involve the traffic nightmare of the SF Bay Area!

I would say that “Somewhere a circus is without its ringleader†but in this case . . .

There is a movement afloat in [Arnold voice on] "Caleforneia" [Arnold voice off] to revert the State Legislature back to the part time status from which it came. Gee, I wonder why.

Go Arnold! Kick nice person

18. impreza

impreza New Member

Sufferin' Prius Envy
    How would you stop forged out-of-state registrations from being used?.....

I wouldn’t. You can’t make any system perfect. People would cheat and many would cheat successfully. But many people cheat on taxes already.
    I once had a friend who had a VW diesel years ago. He had home heating oil delivered to his house then filled his gas tank with that stuff. So he never paid any gas taxes for as long as he owned that car.

Sufferin' Prius Envy
    How would you stop someone from transferring gas from one car to another? For instance, if I owned a Prius and a Hummer (please shoot me if I ever do) . . . I would take the Prii to buy the cheap gas and then transfer it to the Hummer. Or better yet, have my wife drive the Hummer up to the gas pump using the other lane, fill up the Prii . . . then fill up the Hummer - all on the Prii’s bar code.

Again, I’m not sure what you could do. In any case, I don’t think the difference between the Prius tax and the Hummer’s tax should be all that wide. The wider it is, the greater the temptation to cheat. Currently my state and federal gas taxes are about 60 cents. Maybe make the Prius about 30 cents and make the Hummer about 75 cents per gallon, just for illustration. Now if people want to risk a big fine to save $20 in taxes or so, so be it. But the logistics of doing that week after week would get pretty old, and in all likelihood they would eventually get caught. But even if they didn’t, shit happens and people cheat. You can’t make a system that is foolproof and at the same time protects the civil rights of the innocent.

But I think that this kind of tax system is inherently fairer than taxing people on how far they drive, but it’s clearly not foolproof.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry if someone already suggested this; it's a long thread and i may have missed something:

Simple solution:

An annual fee based on ODO reading and vehicle weight, to account for actual wear and tear on the roads, along with a hefty gas tax increase so the more you burn the more you pay. States that already do emissions testing might add in an emission factor to the annual fee.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok then also provide proof of all your out of state visits and the mileage that was driven on city streets that dont come under state highway supervison or budget.

as i said, there shouldnt even be a disscussion on how to go about the BS legislation. shoot it down before it has a chance to get up!!