1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master warning, check engine, VSC, and brake light came on today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kyky, Sep 27, 2024.

1. Kyky

Kyky New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2005 Prius. A couple of weeks ago all of these lights came on so I took my car to a mechanic. The issue was that my hybrid battery was dying so I paid 3.5k for a refurbished one. The car has been driving great with better mpg. Today I was driving for about an hour until the same lights came on. I called a tow truck and had to pay a whole bunch of money. My car is sitting at the mechanic over the weekend until they open again. Even the tow truck driver said that it seemed to drive fine but all he did was park it. Obviously, I know the mechanic should be able to diagnose the issue but if anyone has any idea of what is going on I'd appreciate the advice. I'm considering selling the car even though I just got it in July, but all of these repairs are expensive af!!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I guess you're like a real young person or something He's repairs are all actually pretty easy It's like playing with Legos kind of just not pretty colors. I can't see your display from here and I think you can't take a picture and send it until a few posts. Most of this stuff is pretty easy stuff but maybe not if if there's no interest. So then everything becomes expensive AF generally these aren't starter cars unless you're really mechanically inclined having mechanical aptitude some electrical aptitude and a desire to make things happen That's a pretty good list of things to have in your arsenal actually Eugene Oregon You should be up near a guy named Old mage We can probably search him out on the internet He's an old Toyota head a good friend of mine He may be able to try and help you get on the right track The first thing you're going to need is a capable scanner for the Prius and that generally isn't bought at AutoZone or Menards or O'Reilly's there's a whole section here about which scanners work well with this type of vehicle and then you'll really get some clues sounds like your battery builder has got a module in there that's leaking to ground causing the hybrid isolation fault it really does and your battery guy will probably find it whoever that was $3,500 was quite a hit for a rebuilt battery generally they go for 6 to $1,300 each days so someone didn't do their due diligence they just allowed the hybrid shop to come in charge the mechanic who in turn charged you most of these places will come to your driveway so you would have had no mechanic charges basically You live and learn is what happens here It's kind of odd people have to live and learn like this after the car's almost 20 years old but it happens they're so reliable people think this is just the way they'll be until there's no more on the planet everything requires maintenance and repair most people try to get out of things when the maintenance and repair is becoming evident so they can get a new payment and continue this is one of the most reliable cars on the planet It's your job to keep it so or get something that you can work with Good luck.

3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $3500 for a refurbished HV battery is highway robbery. You could have gotten a new Toyota OEM battery installed at a dealership for the same price. What warranty did you get with the refurbished battery?

Ask the mechanic to give you the trouble codes that he finds after he scans the car. Come back and post the codes here. You will get additional help from forum members after you post the codes.

4. MAX2

MAX2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the battery really refurbished?
    Or is it your old battery? A photo of the high-voltage battery modules posted in the chat would help determine this.

5. saneesh8

saneesh8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes.. really over priced. Battery at local dealership is 1.7k (genuine Toyota). Don't know how much they charge for replacement.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you can buy them for that price anymore. Prices went up not long ago, and the price seems to hover around the $2,200 mark.

Brian1954 likes this.