1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key switch power in headliner?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by MattFL, Oct 15, 2024 at 10:46 AM.

1. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For a 2012 Prius, is there any power in the headliner/map-light area that switches on/off when the car is switched on/off? I'm installing a dash cam and it would be super convenient if I could get power from up there.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No. Unless you have a factory homelink mirror.

Air_Boss likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I used the switched, proximate Homelink circuit to power the radar detector.

4. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure which mirror is in there (my wife's car), what identifying marks should I look for to identify it as homelink or not? Also would the car not be wired for a homelink mirror even if it didn't have one? My thought is it's a snap-in option, but maybe I'm wrong?

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The harness isn't present on a v without a factory Homelink mirror, but can be added.

Attached Files:

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Dealers have a battery powered homelink mirror they can add which requires no wires.

The easiest thing to do for a dashcam is to run a power wire down to the fuses and install a fuse tap. You can get unswitched 12v and ground at the map lights or pickup everything at the interior fuse box.

Some dashcams can be wired to unswitched 12v and use logic to go into a sleep mode based on a loss of the higher charge voltage when running. Others will wake up if their impact or motion sensor detects something.
    IMG_6434.jpeg

This is what your map light will have:

20 pin schematic.jpeg
    As a side note, if you manually turn on a map light it will not turn itself off when you leave the car. A guaranteed dead battery in the morning.

#6 rjparker, Oct 15, 2024 at 6:07 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 6:15 PM