1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just cleaned EGR Cooler, still having problems. Please help

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Indy Guy, Oct 17, 2024 at 4:24 PM.

1. Indy Guy

Indy Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a 2012 Prius V wagon that is still throwing codes after an EGR cooler cleaning and re-installation. Here are the codes:
    • P0171
    • P0012
    • P0101
    • P3190
    The car will often not start the ICE, but if I hit the intake track with starting fluid, it seems to start ok. What's odd is that once I get it started, and put the car into reverse gear, the engine will run fine and charge the Hybrid battery all the way up.

Please give me your thoughts on troubleshooting this further. Thanks in advance.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for context, what's the miles on it?

You say it's "still" throwing codes; is that the same codes prior to the EGR cleaning? As far as I know the only EGR related code is P0401, for insufficient EGR flow. Then when head gasket packs it in it's p03XX.

Maybe post what those codes relate to, to save everyone hunting them down?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P0403 is also an EGR code, set if the electrical connection to the valve is bad.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you had no problem starting the engine and keeping it running before the egr work, then it’s very likely something you disconnected or poorly connected. Often it’s a disconnected pcv hose under the intake. Your year hates that enough that Toyota provided an ecu code fix to at least get it running with no pcv hose. Sometimes it could be a maf connector. Often people believe it’s all connected only to discover they missed something.