1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is superinsulating a problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dbj, Aug 16, 2007.

1. dbj

dbj New Member

Hello,

I'm a newbie, and apologize if this has already been discussed -- could not find it by searching with Google in the PriusChat site.

Two questions:

1. Will placing a bunch of soft foam rubber mats and blankets in the cargo compartment cause any sort of superinsulating effect for the battery pack, and if so, is it likely to hurt the battery pack?

I have a retired racing greyhound who is very bony -- I have cut a nice "eggcrate' foam rubber mat that covers the entire back area of the car (I keep the back seats folded down, to give her lots of room). I've placed a waterproof pad under this, topped the eggcrate with a sheet, and put a favorite soft blanket and some pillows on top of all that. It occured to me that I might be causing a problem to superinsulate the battery pack compartment this way. (By the way, I've been careful not to cover up the intake vent for the battery pack.)

2. Will some sort of filtration over the battery pack intake vent cause any problems with overheating the batteries? I'm envisioning something like either a thin sheet of the fibrous pads like those used in home heating systems, or if that sounds too occlusive, maybe even a layer (or two?) of thin knitted material such as pantyhose are made of. My goal is to keep my dog's hair and any dust on her fur from entering the vent, as much as I can.

Thanks.

little greenie

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery has its own active cooling system (a fan that draws cabin air) so as long as you don't mess with the actual battery compartment or the flow path it shouldn't be a problem at all. You should be able to do whatever you want to the cargo area. It was designed for cargo, after all. ;)

At first I was going to tell you to leave the vent alone, but now that I think about it you would probably be smart to add a little filtration if dog hair is going to be a problem. If you're talking about the same kind of fibrous pad I'm thinking of (the same stuff you see on vacuum cleaners, computer cooling fans, home air filters, etc.) then I would probably go with that. It needs to be something that's designed specifically to flow air.

3. pappyt

pappyt Junior Member

lowe's has filters that are made to go in the heat/ac registers to filter out debris and stuff falling into the ducts. see if that will work for you only like a $1 or 2 for a pack of 4 i think

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What everyone else said about the filter.

As for the cargo area, don't worry. None of that will affect the battery underneath as has been said the batteries have their own cooling system. Just don't block that.

It sounds like you've made your greyhound a really nice place to rest. And I'll bet she really enjoys looking out that little back window under the spoiler. I think that was just made for doggie nose prints.

Does your dog really shed that much? Mind sheds but I'm not going to put any sort of filter over the vents. I don't think he sheds enough to make it necessary. I let him sit on the passenger seat (belted in with his own harness) and I don't notice that much dog hair on the seat. And he's black so I'd notice it on the ivory.

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Any filter that you put on the vent will reduce air flow. In order to cause the least restriction i would pick something with big holes, yet with holes small enough to block dog hair. How about some screen door material?

6. dbj

dbj New Member

Thanks to all for your replies!

Everyone made good points about the "superinsulation" being a non-problem.

pappyt, I'll check the local Lowe's for those filters. I'm thinking you are talking about the ones for the floor duct exit grills, about 4" x 8". It's a good suggestion, since they are thinner and "hole-ier" than regular air filters, which was what I originally thought of.

Godiva, since you obviously also have a well-beloved dog friend, I'll let you know this, if you won't tell the others ( :lol: ). I actually bought the Prius for her! :eek: :lol: As for her shedding, she is possibly the thickest-furred greyhound anyone has ever seen. She doesn't really "blow coat" like many breeds do, but there has been a substantial amount of shedding this spring and summer, relatively speaking. She is also a bit on the insecure side, and when she's nervous, she also turns loose of a few hairs, so it basically is there year-round, albeit at a low level.

Winston, I think your suggestion is also a good one; however, this greyhound girl loves to demonstrate her landscaping artistry (i.e., she digs a big hole to lie in). This is a desert area, and the soil here is essentially old river silt -- it's just almost like talcum powder, since it is so dry due to the climate. I wipe her down before she gets in, but I notice that a fine film of dust tends to settle out in her portion of the car, anyway. That's why I was thinking I needed something to stop the dust.

Thanks again to everyone, and anyone else that decides to respond with more information or ideas.

little greenie