1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

intermittent egr vapor smell accompanied by possible lifter noise

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ruralrouter, Oct 13, 2024 at 9:24 PM.

1. ruralrouter

ruralrouter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    my 2013 Prius V, Ive used this for rural mail delivery since new, 212,000 miles as of now. Head gasket was replaced at 198,000, head was milled, valves removed and cleaned, new valve seals, valves and seats resurfaced, new intake manifold at 175,000. I don't know if the egr valve and pipe were cleaned.
    Here's what it's doing. Intermittent crankcase vapor smell from under hood only when I hear a ticking noise. By intermittent, I mean usually once during a 5000 mile oil change cycle, I'll get the noise and smell for maybe 500 miles, then the sound and smell go away. It sounds like a bad hydraulic lash adjuster (lifter), but why would that cause the crank case/egr smell? Is it not a leaking lifter but a little exhaust leak?
    FYI, before the headgasket pcv valve repair, it would use .5 quart of oil in 1500 miles. after the repairs, it was reduced to .5 quart in 5000 miles. compression check before repairs was not good, around 100 psi in 2 cylinders, up to 160 in other 2. After repairs, 160 psi for all 4

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't think what EGR smell would be. PCV yes.
    I wouldn't count on it. Or if they did "clean it", that they did a thorough/complete job. Ever clear gutter on the way to the storm drain? All it takes is one missed spot and the water's still stuck.

Who did the head gasket?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would check the exhaust header bolts and all the egr components for tightness. A small exhaust leak from any of those is before the cats, will have a hydrocarbon smell and often sounds like a tick/lifter.

Air_Boss and douglasjre like this.
  4. ruralrouter

ruralrouter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The work was do by my regular mechanic, not a Toyota dealer. They are a solid shop but this was their first Prius head gasket replacement. I did take it back and they checked everything over with the egr for tightness. they didn't find anything. Maybe time for someone else to look at it

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Check exhaust manifold as well. They removed it from the head.