1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hand Brake Sticky

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DSharpe, Apr 22, 2011.

1. DSharpe

DSharpe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi.

I use the hand brake (ie. foot operated emergency brake) fairly often on my 2010 Prius. I find that, some times, when I release the brake the rear pads are stuck to the rotors and the car will not move when put it in drive. I have to give the car "just a touch" of gas (or electricity :)) to pop the pads away from the rotors. The pads actually make a popping sound when they release. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I thought that I would ask the question before I bring the car to the dealer. As I mentioned, it only happens some times, and we know how it is with an intermittent problem and can't demonstrate the problem when at the dealer.

Thanks
    Dennis

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmm,

Do they have hand brakes on Prius in Canada? Down here we just have a foot operated emergency brake....

3. DSharpe

DSharpe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, you're right it's a foot brake. Most of my previous cars had hand operated emergency brakes and I have gotten use to refering to the emergency brake as a hand brake.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not unusual when the car is parked wet. This is no big deal.

But please, it is the parking brake, not an emergency brake. Use it every time you park for redundancy and to help it self-adjust correctly.

5. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope. I use my parking brake every single time too.

It sounds like a warranty issue. Mention it to the dealer and get it fixed.

I have a problem that my driver's side seat belt buckle is a bit sticky.

6. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Really, I think it's nothing more than a cable adjustment and lubrication. Let the dealer do it since it's warranty. Did this happen in the winter when it was freezing cold outside; i.e. the cable froze?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Might be related: I've noticed occasionally when backing out of the garage just after startup, the brakes are real touchy. You cannot feather them: they're near locked as soon as you start to apply brake pedal.

It seems to be back to normal, once you start off, rolling forward.

BTW, I'm guessing brake adjustment probably isn't warranty, though they might look at for free, especially if you're in there frequently.

8. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No such problem here, and I use the brake every time I park.

9. DSharpe

DSharpe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to all! :)
    We are into spring weather here now and it is still happening. During the winter months I thought that it might just be the brakes freezing, but I guess not. The longer the foot brake is on (say overnight) the more stuck the pads are to the rotors. Next month, when I get some time, I will bring the car into the dealer. We are into Income tax time in Canada now, and i'm busy busy :(

Thanks Again,
    Dennis