1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green with envy? Eco-vandals pummel Hummer

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by rudiger, Jul 18, 2007.

1. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 18 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]480873[/snapback]</div>
    Stupid!
    Insurance covers the damage, it will all be fixed, causing a waste of resources, and the statement to be counterproductive. Just like the PETA folks who smash up a lab, release a bunch of animals, who will all then die, having no ability to fend for themselves in the wild.

I suppose it could be a frame job too though. Some guy with a bone to pick does this, but scratches in the eco-messgae as a way to frame others).

3. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh! It is all too easy to imagine a group of hummer owners now taking it upon themselves to avenge the attack... We'll be looking at street curfews before too long... ;)

Seriously, I sure hope the DC police end up with something to help catch the vandals and prosecute them. What a stupid, back-firing way to supposedly make a point. My first thought on reading it was, "Do they realize they just created yet more market demand for Hummer parts (the monster tires, the all new glass, etc.) by their actions?" (vs. say, a traffic incident that shreds your tires, thus requiring replacement.)

4. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Vandalism is a very poor way to communicate and could very well backfire.
    This cat is 32 years old and still living with rich mommy!
    Jr lives in a very eco friendly neighborhood and has his mommy buy him a Hummer to show off....
    Perhaps Jr had some friends vandalize his show piece to gain some fame and help launch his mommy funded marketing company?
    I don't believe that people from that hood would do such a crime.
    Jr is a poser. I wonder if he still breast feeds?

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Hummer bummer. One can only hope that after a while of costly fill ups, the market place would 'help' the guy decide to replace his vehicle with one more in keeping with the times.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    War is being waged between the Prii & the hummer people.... next we will hear of a rabbid hummer forcing a prius off the road, or a rouge hummer running down eco friendly prius owners in parking lots.. :eek: :rolleyes:

7. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ Jul 18 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]480934[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's kind of what it looks like to me, too. The guy works for a radio station, lives in a neighborhood where vehicles like Priuses and Volvos proliferate, buys and has a Hummer ostentatiously modified, then it's immediately vandalized by 'eco-terrorists'? Sounds a little too coincidental.

If true, he'll hopefully be found out and the whole stunt will backfire on him.

8. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Just goes to prove that being friendly to the environment and being an a$%hole are not mutually exclusive.

Why can't they just leave me my little fantasy that Prius drivers are inherently smarter, nicer, more evolved people?

Oh, wait... There's no evidence that this was a Prius driver! It must have been one of those Ford Escape or Hybrid Civic people!

9. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While whomever did this is an idiot, I mean sure you might want to destroy all obnoxiously large vehicles but in the same way you want to shoot someone for doing something stupid while driving most people don't.

Although I'm wondering why this story made the post. Is it simply another in an anti-prius type story? Is it simply to make fun of some 30+ year old guy still living with his mother, having her buy his cars, and then spending good money to "pimp them up"?? Granted for all I know his mother could need round the clock care which is why he's there... but I'm guessing not.

10. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is an idiot fringe on almost any issue. The anti-global bozos drive to a rally in a car built and fueled by globalized companies that they are hating, while wearing Chinese made shoes, and jeans made in Bangladesh. Give me a break. I once saw Libya's Kadafi (sp?) riding around in a new Chevy Surburban yelling "Death to America!" Where did he think his shiny Surburban came from? Just some random observations of folks who don't think, just do stupid things to further their cause as they see it. Losers.

11. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is an old saying that goes, "it is better to be inside the tent pissing out, than outside pissing in." However, I'm certainly glad these idiots are not vandalizing our cars, but actions do speak louder than words and we are all getting painted with the same broad brush as these wackos. I have heard plenty of people on here complaining about the rage they feel is being directed against them as Prius owners. Well, if this kind of nonsense keeps up, it is only going to get worse.

12. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Jul 18 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]480962[/snapback]</div>
    Why would anyone put makeup on a hummer...snort....I'm sorry. I don't usually do spelling flames but I couldn't help myself.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 18 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]480873[/snapback]</div>
    If this is a radio stunt it is in extremely poor taste and the mastermind should be prosecuted for at least filing a false police report. If the vandals are caught and convicted Mr. Hummer should be entitled to Biblical justice, Old Testament style. In front of his house he should be allowed to beat them with baseball bats to his satisfaction and carve "Vandal" in their flesh. Then maybe there will be two fewer vandals in this country.

I wonder how smug the neighbors will be when their cars get vandalized.

14. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm just glad that Jr has a 27 year old buddy in town, to help him deal with all of the peer pressure that his neighbors are laying on him. It sure must be tough to maintain his gangsta rep in such a hood. Now if he can only find a way to get his face some national coverage, to launch his PR business????

15. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it was indeed anti-Hummer folks, they are criminals and I don't condone it at all.

HOWEVER... I'd put money on Mr. Hummer doing it himself (or getting friends to do it) so he could lose the Hummer and still save face and make the Prius crowd look like jerks in the bargain.

Where I get my suspicion: A couple of years ago some racist graffiti was found at a local college. Of course, rallies were held, speeches were made, yada yada. Of course, they later found out it was done by one of the African-American students.

Besides, Prius owners are SMART! S-M-R-T! Hummer owners aren't. Whoever did this is NOT smart.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  17. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jul 19 2007, 06:31 AM) [snapback]481489[/snapback]</div>
    Whoa, those folks are really over the top. And they automatically assume it's a Prius owner.

Can't we all just get along?? :unsure:

18. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :angry:
    This brings back many bad memories of a brand new (two months old) 1973 Volvo 142EA that I had parked on the lawn in front of my parents house when I was still 18 and living home. My younger Sister had a fight with her boyfriend (she was cheating) and broke up with him. Thinking the Volvo was her new BOYFRIEND'S vehicle and not mine, her "ex" (and other friends?) decided to come over in the wee hours of the night when all was sound asleep and they smashed the Hell out of the body and broke ALL the windows and lights, obviously quickly driving away by the time we heard all the noise and went outside.....
    It's a real "hurt" and something one usually never gets over, no matter how much "insurance" can try to fix it. Sure I admit I HATE the Hummer and large, gas-sucking SUV's, but I would never want to see one vandalized. :(

19. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Jul 19 2007, 08:58 AM) [snapback]481529[/snapback]</div>
    It's really no different than when someone's Prius gets scratched in the mall parking lot and it's assumed it was done some envy crazed, Prius hating, SUV driver who was cruising the parking lot looking for a Prius to damage. That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but we do get quite a few posts here that lean in that direction.

That along with that assumption that Prius drivers are tailgated not because they are driving slower than the person behind them wants to drive, but rather because the person driving behind them hates Priuses and Prius drivers and is out to intimidate every Prius driver they can find. We get a lot of those posts here.

Go back and read all those "Anti-Prius hate" posts.

Shoot, just look at some of the posts in this thread. One of them suggest that the owner did it himself just to make his Prius owning neighbors look like jerks. In other words, he suggests that it was really just an act of aggression against Prius owners by the Hummer owner.

20. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 19 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]481568[/snapback]</div>
    Who cares about the neighbors. The idea is to get your face on national TV! Who could afford to pay for all of the PR that this guy is getting for free? You have to know what you want, be creative with what resources you have, and go for it 100%! The Media gets a story from nothing and perhaps a few hot heads will cause a ruckus, then the media can run with that and say; "we reported on this first". The truth is fluid dude.