1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting P0A78 Code when Hitting Certain Bumps, Losing Traction or Panic Braking at Lower Speeds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by David McCaig, Feb 13, 2024.

1. David McCaig

David McCaig New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If I clear the code through OBDII reader—and then drive very gentle with the car—it won't trip the 'check engine' code and seems to drive fine indefinitely. The triangle, brake, VSC and 'Check Engine' lamps light up after hitting bump etc. If you shut off the ignition and restart the car the lamps reduce down to only the triangle and Check Engine. One single code; that's it. P0A78

Once the code is set the car changes it's idle and distribution of battery/ICE power use and has subdued power (it appears that any power from the ICE is shut down). To "fix" it—it needs to be cleared again via OBD and the ignition shut off once to "reboot" it from each incident that provokes the code.

Anyone else have an idea here? I do not have TechStream at the moment. I'm replacing the tires tomorrow as they are bald as F right now. I do nearly all of my own DIY work. A great deal of maintenance is recently covered (inverter coolant pump and many other things all carefully performed). Any help would be much much appreciated.

2009 (Gen2) w/ ~175k

--Cheers

2. thraxal

thraxal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    hey man did you get it fixed? having the same issue