1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 recurring P0302 when going uphill

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Arianna, Oct 18, 2024 at 9:46 PM.

1. Arianna

Arianna New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I got this 2011 prius with 200k on it in early March. I love it. The first thing I did was EGR air intake and throttle body cleaning, replace spark plugs and PCV valve. It was fine for a few months, then started rattling real bad upon startup and finally turned on CEL, I stopped driving it and then one day decided to take to mechanic because I was concerned it may be the head gasket, mechanic checked the oil and said no, on the way to drive home the car died a block and a half from mechanic (just shut off entirely, engine wouldn’t turn on, all dash lights on.) I had it towed into the dealership (mechanic I took it to wouldn’t touch it because of the hybrid system warning light that came on along with every other light) who gave it a diagnosis of bad gas, drained the gas tank, cleaned the fuel system and replaced spark plugs. I asked about the head gasket, the dealership assured me that was not the problem.

All was good for a few more months. Then, going up a large hill one day, the car began misfiring and flashing CEL at me. I drove it around for a while, this didn’t happen again, at one point my overheat light came on tho and I immediately pulled over and let it sit, the coolant was a bit low so I refilled it then drove home. After this, I let it sit for 2 weeks while I drove my other car on a trip, came back and tried to drive the Prius again, the CEL and misfires happened yet again while going uphill. I acquired a Bluetooth code reader which showed me P0302 and a water pump code, I replaced the water pump a week and a half ago, cleared codes, it was driving perfectly and had a lot more power than before. Well, it was fine for only 2 weeks before I started it the other night, the engine was misfiring really badly (I could hear/feel it skipping a beat) and again when going uphill, the check engine light was flashing. Previously, the misfires only occurred when going uphill, now they are constant but at their worst when going uphill.

Today I replaced the coil on Cyl 2, that did not fix the issue. The spark plugs are new (couple months old) from when the dealership replaced them due to “bad gas”. The only code I am getting is p0302; no other codes besides that after new water pump was put in. It is not rattling on startup like many I have seen that have head gasket issues (no “Prius death rattle”), but the engine has a very severe misfire that makes it basically not drivable at the moment. No coolant loss since new water pump. It seems unlikely to be a bad head gasket as the problem presents most often when the engine is hot, which does not point to coolant seepage into the chambers overnight. I am at a loss as to what to do next- some people seem to have fixed similar issues with a new MAP sensor? Does anyone have advice as for how to go about diagnosing and fixing this issue? Thank you.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The p302 or whatever that's a cylinder number two misfire so if you move the cylinder number two coil to the number one position and the number one to the number two if the mist does not move the number one then there's a problem in cylinder 2 where that coil started generally speaking so the next move is to take an inspection camera and look up in that spark plug hole preferably in the morning before a first start and see if you can see the classic water droplets up at the head block mating surface start checking with cylinder 2 and then check all the other three cylinders just because usually in the morning if you have everything stripped down and ready the night before leave the plugs in the car. In the morning just whip out the plugs one by one look at them with a small magnifying glass You're looking for water vapor droplets you'll see them and then touch your finger on your tongue touch the tip of the plug touch it back to your tongue Do you taste ethylene glycol this is not enough to do any damage to you. If so there you go then there are these tests you can buy that allow you to check through the spark plug hole and check and see if it turns green or blue or whatever it is but they can be tricky.