1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 turns itself on?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RoadPoppy, May 6, 2024.

1. RoadPoppy

RoadPoppy New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I was out weedin' in the garden when it sounded like the engine fan on my 2024 PPPI started running. The car was locked and plugged in to charge. Charging was completed, but the car remained locked. I looked inside to see my dash lights illuminated, speedo/etc. screen on, and various other dash lights operating. No keys/fob in hand (remember: weedin'), I tried to open the door, but it was, indeed, still locked. Retrieved keys/fob, unlocked door, hit the power button and it powered down.

The Mr. drove the car a couple days ago. I thought maybe he'd not powered down (though he drives a 2019 PP so is well aware of the procedure). So, I decided to experiment. I powered the 2024 on, closed the door,a nd tried to lock it with the fob. No dice. First, it beeped to tell me the fob was outside the car. Further, it refused to lock. So...that wasn't it.

Has anyone else experienced their powered-off, plugged-in, locked car turn itself on while parked?

2. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    No. Sounds like it was remote started.

soft_r likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you set the battery cooling function on? That uses the cabin A/C, which uses the engine fan to cool the condenser. Maybe over things turn on when it is in use.

DOHCtor likes this.
  4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Could "room mode" have been triggered; seems to have been remotely triggered. If you take it to the dealership and your calendar and clock in the car is set correctly - the dealership can scan the data-log to see what, when, and how it was triggered.

Hope this helps....

5. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Gen 5 Prime battery are cooled by the A/C compressor. If the battery temperature got over a predetermined temperature while charging/being plugged, the car will wake up and start the A/C. It's normal! I see this happening when the Toyota app get crazy on my phone. Car wakes up, start A/C to cool battery, phone plugs thru WiFi/Bluetooth...

6. Rheedal

Rheedal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There could be a few potential reasons why a car may automatically start up even when the power is turned off, the power cable is plugged in, and the car is locked, while parked. Here are some possible explanations:

1. Remote Start Feature:
      Some modern cars have a remote start system that allows the engine to be started remotely using a key fob or mobile app. This feature is designed to warm up the engine or cool the cabin before the driver enters the vehicle. If this remote start function is enabled, it could cause the car to start automatically even when parked and locked.

2. Battery Management System Malfunction:
      The car's battery management system is responsible for monitoring the battery's charge level and controlling the alternator to keep the battery charged. A fault or glitch in this system could potentially cause the engine to start up unexpectedly to recharge the battery, even when the car is not in use.

3. Faulty Electrical Components:
      Issues with the car's electrical wiring, sensors, or control modules could lead to unintended engine starts. For example, a short circuit or faulty relay in the ignition system might trigger the engine to start on its own.

4. Security System Malfunction:
      The car's security system, including features like anti-theft, keyless entry, and alarm systems, could potentially malfunction and inadvertently start the engine as part of its security protocols.

5. Software/Firmware Bugs:
      Modern cars rely heavily on complex software and firmware to control various systems. Bugs or glitches in these software systems could result in unexpected engine starts, even when the car is parked and locked.
    Without access to detailed technical information about the specific make and model of the car in question, it's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. If this issue persists, it would be advisable to have the vehicle inspected by a qualified automotive technician to diagnose and resolve the underlying problem.

bisco likes this.
  7. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    On point 2, the prius doesn't have an alternator.

It's more likely if they live somewhere the temp got really hot and the car was outside, that the car sensed the battery needed to be cooled and the AC kicked on to run the compressor to help cool the battery. I think this happens when the car is plugged in but not when it isnt? I can't remember the specifics.

That or they, or their husband, set a scheduled climate control time by accident or on purpose. Instead of "charge starting at 3pm" they might have scheduled "climate control start at 3pm". I schedule the car to preheat in winter before I go to work, but since I park in a garage, the summer heat hasn't been bad enough where I live to make me pre-schedule cooling down the car. I only ever do that when I go grocery shopping and I use the app when I'm headed to the cash if I have my kids with me, to make it more comfortable for them.