1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joe265, May 5, 2008.

1. joe265

joe265 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I went to my dealer today with every intension of cancelling my extended warranty I purchased with them 2 weeks ago, I was asked why I wanted to cancel, I told him I had found a better price online from another dealership, then he asked if I was going to take the car to them because not all warranties are the same. I told him I thought it was the same Toyota premium plan he sold me , then he started telling me about other people that had bought warranties from online that found out they where not the same . Then I told him I would still cancel and if I found out he was correct I would come back to him before my 3/36,000 was up , he then said the warranty would cost more then.
    So here is my question, is the warranty offered here(through Troy) the exact same Toyota platinum plan that my dealership sold me ( or will I have trouble through my dealership tring to use it) for 2,500 and is it true that the warranty would cost more if I cancel with them and get it before my 3/36,000 is up? Or is he just blowing smoke ( as I suspect ) and I should cancel my warranty with them and purchase the one offered here (thought Troy) and not worry that my dealership will give me a hard time if I ever need to use the warranty?

2. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here's my advice:

-Cancel the plan through your dealer.
    -Don't buy another extended warranty.

The Prius is the most reliable car on the road today. The majority of people lose money by paying for an extended warranty. You're essentially gambling that your super-reliable car will require a major repair before getting past 100,000 miles. That said, if you're extremely risk-averse, you should just get the warranty through Troy.

When your dealer says it will be more expensive to get the warranty later on, he probably just means that the price of the warranty will go up by then due to inflation/higher costs (not because your car is 3 years old).

3. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    First off, your dealer is blowing smoke, the warranty sold on PC is EXACTLY the same TOYOTA warranty, every Toyota dealer should honor it. Dealer is just trying to scare you, so that they can make a bigger profit from you. Just tell them, if you can meet the price, I'll stay with you, otherwise cancel my contract, give me my money. $990 is not a bad deal for insurance, yeah Prius should be reliable, but we buy insurance for everything these days, we just don't have to be swindled on the cost.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your dealer is a swindler and full of hooey.

Assuming that he sold you Toyota's best extended warranty -- Toyota Extra Care Platinum Plan, 7 years/100,000 miles, $0 deductible -- his $2,500 price is way overpriced as it even exceeds the MSRP for the Plan by $650!!!:

Your Dealer: $2,500

MSRP: $1,850

Troy/WarrantyShack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA: $990

If you ever want to read up on the Toyota Extra Care extended warranties, you can go to the Toyota Financial Services website where they call the extended warranties "Vehicle Service Agreements". Here's a link:

Toyota Financial Services

My advice is to cancel that extended warranty immediately (within 30 days of purchase) in order to get a full refund. Then wait (you have up to 3 years/36,000 miles) to decide whether to purchase the extended warranty. That way you'll have a better idea of how the car is holding up, and which plan to get in terms of years/miles (you can save hundreds more by going with fewer years or miles).

About the only plus to getting the Platinum warranty now, instead of 3yrs/36k miles from now, is that it includes Roadside Assistance. But I doubt very much that you'll need Roadside Assistance during the first 3yrs/36k miles, and in any event, you may already have it through one of your credit cards, your car insurance, or otherwise.

5. mary2al

mary2al Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Toyota extended warranty that was $1500 in 04. My 3/36K is up at now 42K. My warranty is for 100K miles or seven years.

I just went into the dealer for repairs on brakes & etc and the bill was $3,245 and was covered by this extended warranty!

At first I received the bill as to be paid by me -- they had failed to enter my warranty, corrected it and I owed $0 = Whew! I question the idea that a Prius is so reliable that you won't need repairs in a 100K miles. Under warranty I have had the entire screen replaced. What if that had failed after 36K?!?

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I bought the extended warranty from Troy for my 2005. I think that was a sensible move, considering the MFD replacement problems on some 2004 and 2005 models. I feel my 2007 is a better car than my 2005 through incremental improvements; they are both fantastic! Since I have a couple of years and 20,000 miles before I have to decide, I'm waiting on an extended warranty on the 2007, it may not need it. When we trade the 2005 for the next gen Prius, I'll probably get an extended warranty on it since it will be a new model.