1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine rapidly turning on and off while parked

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Elijah Robinson, Oct 22, 2024 at 4:46 PM.

1. Elijah Robinson

Elijah Robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello all.

I have a 2011 Prius with 115k miles on it. Today when I parked my car the engine randomly started turning on and off very fast, almost about 10 times. All the bars on the HV battery were full. My other battery is also only a year old and it was showing a healthy charge (14v). Was this just the HV battery off loading the extra energy? I’ve known it’s normal to do that especially when going through hills but I never had it cycle rapidly like that while I was parked. The energy display showed that there was no energy being transferred anywhere although the engine was cycling. I am just curious why the engine did not decide to just stay on to off load that energy rather than rapidly cycle over and over. TIA

2. Elijah Robinson

Elijah Robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Attached is the link to my Dr Prius screenshot while I was parked seconds after this happened https://priuschat.com/media/dr-prius.21522/full

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only thing that looks a bit troubling in your screenshot is battery temps are a little high. No issues other than that... Sounds like a weird electronic glitch of some sort. It's not a known problem and nothing to be concerned about. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. If it does disconnect the 12v for a few minutes to reset all the systems.