1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrician is here . . . What's required for 240 outlet?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by domer1970, Oct 23, 2013.

1. domer1970

domer1970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, my electrician is not dumb. He's wonders whether there are any esoteric specs for EV charging via 240 volt outlet.

He does this all the time for washers and dryers. Just doesn't want to blunder when it comes to EV charging.

Taking the chance someone can respond while he's here doing other repairs.

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A 20 amp circuit (12 ga wire) will do for the PIP.
    12 ga doesn't even get the slightest bit warm during a recharge.
    I used 12/2 for my 240v outlet- per code I had to use red electrical tape to mark both ends of the white to show that it was hot in this configuration.

IIRC the PIP only draws 12-13 amps during full power portion of the recharge cycle, then drops down to lower amp draw to finish off the charge.

3. shiranpuri

shiranpuri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm no electrician, but as I understand it from what I've read:

For the plug, that depends on the EVSE/maximum draw... Different EVSEs allow for different amperage draws and with that different plugs. For example, the leviton's pluggable configurations use a NEMA 6-20R receptacle for their 16 amp evse, and NEMA 6-50R for their 30-40 amp evses. (Their prewire kits include the receptacles, covers, boxes for placing it in the drywall, and the mounting bracket). Note: the PIP won't be making use of the higher amperages - that's just how much the evse reports it can supply (which should be appropriate for the circuit, of course). The charger in the car decides how much of that it can/does use - to make full use of the higher amperage evses, you'd need to a higher powered EV (or I suppose have visitors that do). Not those can't be used for the pip, just that it won't be taking advantage of the full current available.

As far as the circuit goes, charging would be considered a continuous load. You should see the circuit rating the evse calls for in its specs. I have the leviton 16-amp evse, and it calls for a 20-amp circuit.

4. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Would it be advantageous to have him wire in a higher rated circuit (say 30 amp) while he's there for future-proofing?

ftl likes this.
  5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It wouldn't hurt. #10 wiring is not much more expensive.

6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    That's how I'd do it.