1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving in B cause for early oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dezlorelle, Feb 20, 2011.

1. dezlorelle

dezlorelle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm a very new Prius 2010 owner (as of December 2010) and I very stupidly drove my car in B for about 70 miles down the interstate. I wasn't paying attention, and had only had the car for a week, and I shifted into B instead of Drive and didn't realize it until about 70 miles down the interstate. I had been driving up to 75 mph during that time.

My dealer has the oil change sticker listed as needing changed at the next 5K miles, but my oil service display is already showing service needed, some 3K miles before their estimated 5K mark. Does anyone know if this is related to the horrible B driving that I did in December? I would love to just reset the oil change display and keep driving, but I'm a little nervous that I did some sort of damage or extreme wear and tear with the B driving.

Anyone experience something like this?

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No problem. The main thing it does is use the engine more for braking but it doesn't do anything dramatic so carry on as if nothing had happened.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did you take it in at 3K (or 8K) miles and they simply didn't reset the oil maintenance required indicator?

Either way, don't change the oil every 5K miles. Do it every 10K miles per factory recommendation and reset the oil maintenance required indicator yourself in between (every other 5K miles).

4. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Driving in B for 70 miles did not do anything adversely. It enabled engine braking and disabled regen. You did not harm the Prius in any way and is more than likely not related to the oil light coming on.

5. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are saying that the dash light indicator for an oil change came on early at something like 2,000 miles??? Hmmm. There are those among us who believe that it is good policy to change the oil of a new car earlier than recommended, to get the slivers of metal etc. from the manufacturing process out of the engine as soon as possible. I changed mine at 2,000 miles--because I was too busy to do it at 1,000 when I really wanted to. If I were you, I WOULD change the oil now, given that the computer thinks you should for some reason. There is nothing to lose except for $30, a small price to pay for piece of mind with a $25,000 new car.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the OP got it "serviced" at 3K miles, the dealer would write 8K miles as the next service date and if they didn't reset the oil change indicator, it'll come on at 5K miles, exactly 3K miles before "their estimated 5K miles mark."

7. dezlorelle

dezlorelle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I bought my Prius used, at about 30K miles. The last oil change was at 30K and right before I bought it. It now has 32K on it, and it's showing the oil service display. The dealer service station's sticker reflects a 35K oil change. I've seen the posts regarding oil changes every 10K instead of 5K, but what I was seriously concerned about was why I got the indicator at only 2K. It seems like the dealer may not have reset the indicator, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I'd hate to reset it, and be doing my engine harm.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The service reminder light is simply a mileage counter. It has no idea about the quality of your oil, or anything else for that matter. All it knows is when 5,000 miles have ticked off from the last reset.

Tom

9. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your driving a 2010 Prius III, with synthetic oil that only needs change at the 10,000 mile mark. Have you put 8,000 miles on your car since December, 2010 ???? Unless it's a real pain for you, swing by your dealer, let him decide if or not to reset the oil reminder display.

BTW- Your oil filter will catch any material that may of been left behind during the manufacturing of your engine, which is highly unlikely. If there are, and it's unlikely, any large pieces of metal will sit in the bottom of your oil pan.

10. dezlorelle

dezlorelle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks everyone. My mind has been put at ease. I have tried twice to set up a service appointment at my dealer for a Saturday, and they've been unable to accomodate me both times. I think I'll wait until the 5K mile mark and take it in then, just to check it out.

This forum is wonderful!!!!