1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Creaking noise coming from rear with e-brake

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zzzzzzzz, Jan 21, 2024.

1. zzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's this persistent creaking noise coming from the rear on my 2006 Prius. Only happens when I'm going into reverse or maybe going over a bump, or jacking the car up while the e-brake is on. It creaks each time the rear goes up with each jack. If I disengage the e-brake, the creak goes away; completely silent.

I've looked underneath with my wife jacking up the car but was unable to pin-point the creaking noise. It's as if the entire rear sub-assembly is creaking. A few things I've already done:

- applied neverseez on the contact points on the rear pads to the rear shields
    - applied neverseez to the entire hub surface that contacts the drum
    - rear pads look like they have enough material still
    - replaced the rear shocks with new ones

What else am I missing? I was think of disconnecting the rear sway bar as there was another member on here that showed his was cracked.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Be looking very carefully at the beam assembly and that rear sway bar and it's mounts grommets bushings etc