1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Correct Wheel Offset?!?!? Want some new ones!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by travwill, Mar 16, 2010.

1. travwill

travwill New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got my new 2010 Prius this week and love it, but not the 15" wheels that come on the IV. I want to order some new wheels tomorrow so have a couple questions.

1. What is the correct offset I should target for some aftermarket 17" wheels?
    2. Weight I should target, is it around ~30lbs each for factory wheels currently.
    3. What tire size does anyone recommend or tire for that matter?
    4. Will wheels work with the TPM system I can assume or cause issues?
    5. I was looking to just order some from somewhere like discount wheels/tires and have them installed - any worries with their selection and use? Recommendations?

Finally, anything else to watch out for, e.g. bolt patter I've heard, or anything I should look for to make sure they fit.

Thanks in advance! :D

2. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM rims:
    17x7J 24.2 lb 50mm offset
    15x6J 16.25 lb 45mm offset
    center bore 54.1mm
    bolt pattern 5 x 100mm

The center bore is the hole in the center of the rim. Obviously, it has to the be same or bigger than OEM. If bigger, the space between the rim and the hub forces the wheel to be supported only by the 5 lugs. This is called lug-centric. Some say this is ok. Others will want spacers to fill the gap so the car's weight is supported by the hub, called hub-centric.
    check out: Hub Centric vs

Offset: a lower offset means the wheel will move outwards, away from the engine. Looks better but too much and the wheel will stick out the body and spray all sort of road grime on to the body. Google "wheel offset calculator."

You'll have to buy 4 sensors to work with the car's TMPS. Otherwise, the indicator light will be on full-time. It'll be about $350 + labor, on top of tires and rims.

Personally I like wheels by Five Axis. They look smokin' hot and they're reasonably priced.

If you haven't already you should search PC to make sure 17" fit on non-V models. Something about steering motors are different between models.

3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The existing sensors couldn't be reused? I didn't think they were sized to match the rim..

4. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably. If the OP buys the rims and/or tires online then it has to be unmounted and then he has to find local labor to install.

Since I need separate rims for winter, my mind set was fixed on a separate set of TMPS sensors. I don't want the hassle to remount tires and sensors twice a year.

5. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The existing sensors will work, so you will just have to swap them onto the new wheels. I did for mine and no issues. Of course if you want two sets of wheels with sensors (winter and summer, for example), you'll have to buy another set and have the dealer reprogram each time you swap out the different sets of wheels.

6. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I assume the TMPS sensor in the 15" wheel is stick on the wheel somewhere. As soon as we unmount them, we should see the sensor stick on the wheel, right?

7. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The sensors are part of the wheel valve assembly and look like this:
    [​IMG]

You'll pretty much have to remove the tires to access the sensors.

8. kiokenprius

kiokenprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V