1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Fluid Flush

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Nov 25, 2011.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius will reach 30k within the next several months and as y'all know, that is the traditional milestone for complete fluid replacements.

Lexus requires a brake fluid change every 3 years or 30k, whichever comes first, on their CT200h. There is no reason to believe the Prius is any different since the two are mechanically identical. It is unclear why Lexus requires brake fluid changes for the CT200h (and all of their hybrids), but Toyota does not. I personally suspect that it is because Lexus owners are theoretically more willing (and can afford to) to take better care of their vehicles then us. ;)

Since this service is not mandatory for us, I am on the fence on whether or not I should have this done. Obviously there is some merit to the fluid change recommendation, which is why I am bringing it up. My question is whether brake fluid degrades more by time or miles used. Evidently Lexus believes both, or else they would have suggested a time-based recommendation. However, most other automakers have a time-based recommendation: Honda, VAG, BMW, MB, etc.

My brake fluid does not look too bad after 16k, but it definitely does not look new anymore. I guess the only way to verify its condition is to use the test strips, but I have no idea where I can get some. On past cars, I usually flushed the brake fluid every three years or 30-45k but at my current rate of mileage accumulation, I would be at around 110k by the three year mark. Or around 70k by the two year mark. I would never leave brake fluid in for that many miles, hence the dilemma.

My trusted independent, Luscious Garage, charges around $130 for the brake fluid flush ($120 for 1 hr labor + fluid). The techstream is necessary for this service and I have no plans to try the alternate method listed in the manual after the disaster last week. So, the price is not too outrageous but I would not mind saving $130 if it is not needed. Then again, I do pay them $100 to change my transaxle fluid every 15k so I am a bit of a maintenance freak by Priuschat standards. :eek:

What do you guys think? I would really kick myself if I had to pay for a new brake actuator at 75k if it could have been prevented by doing more preventive maintenance.

2. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why is Techstream required to flush the brakes?

I replaced the front calipers of my wife's 2004 Suzuki XL-7 4x4, 111k miles. Flushed the fronts lines, took 10 minutes a side. The fluid was a very light honey color, but since I already there, I just had her pump it through a few more times. Nice and clear, now.

I did it on my old DeVille, and the stuff was NASTY when it came out, so I did a complete flush.

BTW, after 111k miles on the Suzuki, the front calipers are the only mechanical repair that's been needed. And, only the left side needed replaced, but I did both just to satisfy my OCD.

3. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius is brake by wire. You need Techstream to initiate the bleeding process.

MB860 ?

4. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt it, both Art's and my local Toyota dealer are around $120 for this job. The instructions in the manual are fairly simple provided that you have TechStream and should not take more than an hour to complete.

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is really no reason to be doing this early. I thought it was 5 years or 100k or something like that. I don't think it will do any damage to wait. Same with your transaxel i think your just wasting alot more money. Send it in to the people that do thats sad cat commerical, or the feed the children one if you got the extra to spend

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lexus' 3 year or 30,000 mile guideline is similar to Honda's: 3 year, regardless of mileage.

Personally I would just get the dealership to do this. Even on previous vehicles without the need for computer intervention, when I tried to do it myself, as often as not I ended up with a softer pedal, must have introduced air somehow. I finally decided the dealership has better equipment to automate the process, and better knowledge of the process.

9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Max interval on the trans should be 60K. By the time you hit 100K, the fluid is the color of transmission death -- black. Every 15K is a very conservative schedule -- 15K initial and every 30K thereafter would probably have the same result -- but to each his own. I just hate Toyota for suggesting that this is a lifetime fill, when for them it is mission accomplished to get cars past the 100K miles mark. Because the manufacturer claims it to be maintenance free, dealership hands are tied, otherwise they would upsell trans fluid change above all else.

2 people like this.
  10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm a little confused, I just finished my 30K service, and none of this was mentioned. Here's what I did:
    Oil/Filter
    Cabin Air Filter
    Engine Air Filter
    Tire Rotate
    Wipers

I don't think I missed anything, did I?

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, you did not miss anything, according to the Toyota maintenance schedule. Transaxle fluid is one of those that should be replaced on a schedule, but is not, because most trans will make it to 150K miles, which satisfies Toyota as being a car's lifetime. There's been a lot of information posted here about trans fluid analysis, suggesting that a reasonable schedule for fluid changes is at 30K and every 60K miles thereafter. When I did my car at 60K (that's when I got it), the fluid was very dark, similar to what you would see in a conventional automatic transmission that had bombed, minus the bits and clumps.

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That seems to be a common at 60k+ miles on these transmissions. Was there any burnt, or overheated smell to it?

Considering there are no friction elements like functioning clutches, bands or conventional CVT elements in it, the fluid seems to take a beating. Are the MG units possibly overheating the fluid?

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A few things: the more extensive brake inspection, suspension component inspection, transaxle fluid inspection (whatever that constitutes), and a few more. Have a read:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...93946-2010-prius-maintenance-schedule-us.html

This is basically just a summary of the US maintenance schedule, in the slimmer booklet you should have received. I'm not in agreement with all of it, the transaxle fluid change interval in particular..., but that's the schedule fwiw.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the Toyota Shop manual, that is only a level check.

15. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Smells like dirty oil, but not burnt. Still, do you want dirty oil in your $5000 gearbox?

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not me, mine is getting it's first change soon and I'm at 10k miles.

17. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  18. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The brake fluid flush is not required for our cars, only for the Lexus CT200h twin.

I would still replace the transaxle fluid every 30k. Luscious Garage did mine at 15k for me at a cost of $98. They are not far from you and are probably the hybrid garage on the west coast.

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe I'm a little off topic, but I may as well ask here -- what are all the fluids?
    Engine oil
    Brake
    Transaxle
    Inverter Coolant
    Windshield Washer
    Radiator

Is that right? The only fluids I've dealed with at 30k miles are engine oil and washer fluid.